Menu

Rib cage after pregnancy?

lavender's green

When I was pregnant with my youngest, I read a post-partum exercise book that recommended some exercises to help your ribcage return to it's normal circumference...  I did the exercises after my son was born, and I really did see a difference.  I have no idea what the book was called..

She recommended laying in "crunch" position - on your back, knees up.  Then you cross your arms across your body and hold on to your ribs.  As you crunch up, you sort of smooth your ribs in with your hands.  Does that make sense?  

She had a series of exercises to do, starting with just raising your head as your hands molded your ribs.  From there she moved on to a variety of crunches with knees up, extended, twist, lift and hold, etc.  Basically any ab workout, with your hands working to bring your ribs in.

I have a feeling it was supposed to be most productive just after the baby was born, when you had lots of ligament loosening hormones in your system, but I think it's worth a try!

I am chubbier now, but after my son was born and I lost the weight, I was able to fit into my slim dresses just fine - ribs included!  You can do it!