Menu

German reading list(s) please!

4KookieKids

I'm looking for reading lists in German for kids/youth. Something that has all the "classics" (things most kids read and/or should read in Germany :D). So far, we've just read mostly Der kleine Drache Kokosnuss, Jim Knopf, Tintenwelt, Unendliche Geschichte, Prinzessin Lillifee, lots of Pixi books, Rauber Hotzenplotz, and a little Conni, Nina Naseweis, and Der kleine Rabe Socke. We have a lot of Grimm fairy tails on CD, as well, and I've also had Kleine Hexe, HuiBuh, Momo, Emil und die Detektive and Pumuckl recommended to me for the young kid age.

I'd really like to get some for Christmas to last us the next year, and it'd just be nice to have a list of them (maybe even categorized by reading level / age?) We need them for a variety of ages (youngest is 2 months old and I'd really like some more adult / young adult literature for my own practice), and I'd rather not have books that are just English books that have been translated. I'm ok with books that were originally in another language and got translated into German, e.g. Ilias, but would like a solid group of books originally in German first, please.

I'm looking for reading lists in German for kids/youth. Something that has all the "classics" (things most kids read and/or should read in Germany :D). So far, we've just read mostly Der kleine Drache Kokosnuss, Jim Knopf, Tintenwelt, Unendliche Geschichte, Prinzessin Lillifee, lots of Pixi books, Rauber Hotzenplotz, and a little Conni, Nina Naseweis, and Der kleine Rabe Socke. We have a lot of Grimm fairy tails on CD, as well, and I've also had Kleine Hexe, HuiBuh, Momo, Emil und die Detektive and Pumuckl recommended to me for the young kid age.

I'd really like to get some for Christmas to last us the next year, and it'd just be nice to have a list of them (maybe even categorized by reading level / age?) We need them for a variety of ages (youngest is 2 months old and I'd really like some more adult / young adult literature for my own practice), and I'd rather not have books that are just English books that have been translated. I'm ok with books that were originally in another language and got translated into German, e.g. Ilias, but would like a solid group of books originally in German first, please.

Well, the Astrid Lindgren books (Pippi, Michel aus Lönneberga, Ronja Räuberstochter) were originally written in Swedish, but they're also great in German.  Since I can't read Swedish,  I don't feel guilty...  There are also great movies/TV shows for all of them in German (I think dubbed from Swedish, but they're still wonderful).

Cornelia Funke books of course.  The Tintenwelt books (more YA imho), Drachenreiter (younger), and she's also written a slew of other books that have never been translated to English.

You've got a lot of the ones I know of.  Kai Meyer seems to write quite prolifically for a variety of ages, but I'm not sure how "classic" those books are. 

Well, the Astrid Lindgren books (Pippi, Michel aus Lönneberga, Ronja Räuberstochter) were originally written in Swedish, but they're also great in German.  Since I can't read Swedish,  I don't feel guilty...  There are also great movies/TV shows for all of them in German (I think dubbed from Swedish, but they're still wonderful).

Cornelia Funke books of course.  The Tintenwelt books (more YA imho), Drachenreiter (younger), and she's also written a slew of other books that have never been translated to English.

You've got a lot of the ones I know of.  Kai Meyer seems to write quite prolifically for a variety of ages, but I'm not sure how "classic" those books are. 

Thanks!!

Here are my favorite books for grade 1 and under, here for grade 2, and here for grade 3.  At the beginning of each list I have grammar/spelling  books, but then you can see literature titles.  I can post more books for older children if you are interested.    

Ah! I totally forgot about these. Doh! I even have your website bookmarked in my browser... Oh well -- I'll just blame it on baby brain. I wonder how old the baby has to be before you can no longer use that excuse... She's currently 2 months, so I think I'm still good... :D

And I am interested in books for older kids -- maybe the YA category (because I think that's close to where my own reading level is) or slightly higher (since the YA is pretty easy for me to read).

Thanks! 

Thanks!!

Ah! I totally forgot about these. Doh! I even have your website bookmarked in my browser... Oh well -- I'll just blame it on baby brain. I wonder how old the baby has to be before you can no longer use that excuse... She's currently 2 months, so I think I'm still good... :D

And I am interested in books for older kids -- maybe the YA category (because I think that's close to where my own reading level is) or slightly higher (since the YA is pretty easy for me to read).

Thanks! 

Maybe when she is two years old  :laugh: !  After five children I know that feeling quite well.  

• 2 weeks later...