Menu

Any "don't miss" mp3s you'd recommend from SWB?

Tardis Girl

So with the sale on SWB's mp3s, I'm looking! ;)  Any you've listened to that just really inspired you or brought things into focus? I'm sure favorites are different for everyone, but since buying ALL the mp3s probably isn't an option for me, I'd love to hear what you think.

I am particularly eyeing the writing for elementary years...although then I feel like I should get all 3 with middle school and high school just for the "big picture" aspect. It never ends! lol

I was so excited when I saw the sale, but then I looked and I realized I already have them all!!  Silly wabbit.

Hmm, my favorites?  Different ones for different seasons, and depending on what I'm obsessing about at the moment.  The writing lectures are great.  The Homeschooling the Real Child can cheer you up when you feel frustrated - realizing that "Nibbled to Death by Ducks" is a viable teaching method can be sooo helpful!  I really love the Great Books: History as Literature lecture, myself.  But I think that if I were picking just one, with kids your kids' ages, I might pick The Well Prepared Student, because it does cover a lot of material from the others, albeit more briefly, and it can help you realize that you can actually do this - get and/or stay on track!

I did not enjoy "If I could do it all over again."

If you only get one, get "Homeschooling the Real Child." I love it and listen to it at least once per year. Good for laughs & encouragement.

You don't need the Writing one for high school year. Get the elementary & middle ones if you feel the need. (If writing is going well for you, skip these for now.)

I liked the "Teaching a child to work independently" one, too. Put it after the previously mentioned ones.

You don't need it yet, so hold off on "The Well-prepared student." It is a good one, so keep it on your list. ;-)

So with the sale on SWB's mp3s, I'm looking! ;)  Any you've listened to that just really inspired you or brought things into focus? I'm sure favorites are different for everyone, but since buying ALL the mp3s probably isn't an option for me, I'd love to hear what you think.

I am particularly eyeing the writing for elementary years...although then I feel like I should get all 3 with middle school and high school just for the "big picture" aspect. It never ends! lol

I was going to ask this same question! Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! Here are a couple of specific questions. I am for sure getting the elementary writing (still debating on the middle school), but then I saw this one that reviews all levels:

http://peacehillpress.com/audiobooks-lectures/writing-without-fear-mp3-download/

It's said to be an "overall summary of writing goals and methods for K-12" -- what do you think?

Also, the "What Is Literary Analysis? When, Why, and How Should I Teach It?" 

http://peacehillpress.com/audiobooks-lectures/what-is-literary-analysis-when-why-and-how-should-i-teach-it-mp3-download/

The description is a bit vague on the target audience. Is this targeted to older years? I am especially intrigued knowing SWB's college teaching background, but wonder how relevant it will feel with elementary kiddos. I do like/use the Teaaching the Classics approach with my kids...although I am not as consistent as I want to be. 

Thanks! :)

I have Writing Without Fear, but I don't remember what it covers. Perhaps because I have all the other writing mp3s?

The Literary Analysis one covers all levels, but she says you don't really need to cover much with the younger kids, so it is only a list of what vocab/idea you need to cover with the younger crowd, the slight step up at middle school, and then she focuses on high school with the rest of the lecture. Not one of the ones I jump up & down insisting people get. It is a good one to have at some point. Not one of my top 5.

OK, well earlier today I bought 5 mp3s: Writing for Elementary and Middle School, The Real Child, Teaching Students to Work Independently, and Literary Analysis. Wish I had noticed the slides sooner! Thank you for sharing them! I might have changed a choice or two, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy these. I really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions so far. 

I briefly saw the slides for Academic Excellence split into 2 age groups -- don't remember seeing an audio for that, but that seems interesting. And I was also eyeing the science audio but have to go look if there is an outline for that...and what else is on that page...hmmm...this is just going to get me into more trouble. ;)

Not all of them have slides/outlines. I didn't see a Writing Without Fear one, for instance (or the science). Some have slides (Academic Excellence), but no audio. I think you had to be at a certain conference for some of those (including some of Mrs. Wise's). 

You can't go wrong with the Writing ones or The Real Child!