Menu

What to use after Getting Started with Latin?

prissygirls

DD finished GSWL in 4th grade and went on to the Latin's Not So Tough series, which she likes and is doing well with. We started with Level 3. Level 3 didn't have any new grammar, compared to GSWL, but it did have some new vocabulary that wasn't in GSWL, and I wanted her to be solid on the vocabulary, plus IMO when switching to a different format, sometimes being a little easier is a good thing.

DS and I greatly enjoyed GSWL, and I highly recommend both Lingua Latina and Latin Alive as a follow up.  I found that for my DS (young, but very strong in LA), GSWL was the perfect intro to LL - he knew just enough grammar and vocab to get him started, and once we read through the first LL chapter (he was SHOCKED that he could understand it!), it was incredibly motivating for him!  It is a challenge and we go through it slowly, but so far so good!

We pair Lingua Latina with Latin Alilve since the latter is a more traditional program that gives explicit grammar instruction, which helps us both out (I'm a Latin newbie also).  We do a lot of vocab review from all three programs to keep it all fresh.