Menu

Bears Phonics by the Apples and Pears Spelling people

Has anyone used this ? What did you think? What is it like day to day? I have looked at the books online. Just wanted to know from experienced users. AND when do you add in the Apples and Pears spelling part? AND what handwriting do you use? I love the tracing sheets they have but I want more than just the lowercase they offer. I am looking to use this with my 3rd little guy soon. He will be 4 in April. Thanks!

I'm not sure what Bears phonics program you are referring to. The Bearing Away or the Bear Necessities or the Dancing Bears? I am planning on using the Bear Necessities with my four year old. But I haven't gotten very far, so I can't give you much advice. But it looks good to me....

• 8 months later...

My youngest son is almost finished with Dancing Bears Book A. He is four and a half. It has worked wonderfully. We started in September and we do about 10 minutes a day of work including the cards. He usually does one or two parts of pages and 1-2 new pages a day totaling between 2 and 4 pages a day.

We are doing Handwriting Without Tears for writing because while he can read he doesn't have the fine motor skills to write very much. He finished the Preschool book a week ago and we will start Letters and Numbers for Me in a few weeks after we finish moving.

We are not doing Apples and Pears spelling. I will probably use Explode the Code next fall. I need to get him able to confidently hold a pencil before I work on spelling.

Jenne in AZ but not for long

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using it with my DD 6 1/2. We are halfway through Book A. I have a very reluctant reader, so it has been a challenge until we started this programme. Its great.......

We also use Apples and Pears Spelling books, which are good as well.

Cheers

Fi

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This is for anyone who has used this. My son is starting K this summer and knows all his letters but not really their sounds. I think this program will be great but I am not sure what to order? Do I just need the Bear Neccessities A1 and A2? Do I need the book with the tiles that sells for 100.00?

Help:)

I didn't use this until my younger son needed the spelling so I can't help with the Dancing Bears stuff, but you can order through the UK website. When you go through the process, there is a place to click on US where you won't be charged international shipping.