Menu

The Official Non-Electronic Christmas Gift Thread!!!

Catwoman

Rebecca:  E-books on Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin (Now how do I gift these?  The Kindle is mine!)

Scavenger hunt ending with a clue to look on Mom's Kindle?

I know it wasn't on this thread but another Christmas thread but someone posted 4 or 5 things they get their kids for Christmas. It went along the lines of something to wear, something to read, something to play with, etc. I can't remember what else. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

This one?

Something I want,

Something I need,

Something to wear,

Something to read.

Wish I could stick to that... I get too excited and always overdo it! :drool5:

• 3 weeks later...

In theory, the kids and I have already received our big gift for this year (for Christmas and all three of our birthdays). My husband sent us on a surprise overnight trip to NYC last weekend with tickets for three shows in the two days.

I guess that qualifies as non-electronic, though.

Thus far, in terms of small stuff, I plan to make my daughter an infinity scarf. And my son always gets several books, although I haven't yet figured out which ones he'll get this year.

My son is putting together a package of Star Wars-themed stuff for his sister, with some items purchased from the gift shop of the museum where he volunteers. She always personalizes a nutcracker for him (an homage to his days at the pre-pro ballet school). This year, she's making nutcracker bookends, which should be cute.

Quoting myself, because I know you have all be just dying to hear the update when we figured out what else we're getting our kids, right?

My husband and I sat down and worked on the lists a couple of days ago. As I said in my original post above, we're supposed to be keeping it somewhat low key this year, since the trip the kids and I took in November was presented as our joint gift for Christmas and all three birthdays. Of course, my husband has conveniently forgotten that he justified it as such, but I'm doing my best to hold him to something reasonable.

So, we know we want to give our daughter a gift certificate to the Container Store. She's been pining to get in there since the new one opened here a couple of months ago. (She's . . . unusual.) The plan is to buy one container of some sort and stuff the gift card inside so we have something to wrap and put under the tree. She'll have a blast with her shopping spree and then organizing to her heart's content. That'll be her "big" gift.

I ordered that Sherlock/Dr. Who shirt from Woot for her.

She bought herself one of those giant LL Bean canvas tote bags a few months ago, and she loves it. So, I'm thinking of getting her a smaller one to match, for the days when she doesn't need the huge one.

I've bought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fabric for her pajamas, and I've been slowly setting aside small TMNT items we'll use to stuff her stocking, along with a t-shirt I plan to order from Woot tomorrow.

My son's big gift will be a portable tap floor (like this one: http://fasfoot.com/) and a nice garment bag to carry dance costumes (replacing the freebie one from JCPenney he's been using for the last year or so). We're considering adding a hanging toiletry bag/kit thing, too, that he could use to carry small essentials for performances and competitions. And I'd like to have both the garment bag and toiletry kit monogrammed.

He may also get some weights, since he's been trying to work out more and has been making do with the wimpy weights I was using a few years ago.

I haven't yet decided on a theme for his pajamas, but I think I'm closing in on an idea.

He'll definitely need a snarky t-shirt or two, also, but I haven't yet found anything that speaks to me. I bought him several tap dance-themed shirts at the beginning of this academic year, which would normally be my go-to idea. So, I'm on the lookout for inspiration.

We also haven't come up with a theme for his stocking yet, but I'm hoping when we do we can find some small, silly items similar to the TMNT stuff I'm hoarding for my daughter.

I'm also hoping to find a couple of books and/or DVDs for each of them. Unfortunately, none of their favorite authors are cooperating and releasing anything new in time for the holidays this year. But I'm sure I'll think of something.

And I'm working on their ornaments, but they get those before Christmas, when we decorate the tree.

That will probably be about it for this year.