Menu

Soups that travel well in a thermos---recipes please!

prairiewindmomma

We put all kinds of soups in a thermos....clam chowder, chicken noodle, chili, miso, squash, broccoli cheddar, etc. The only caveat I can think of is this: when you make homemade soup with pasta, the pasta may absorb more of the liquid while it sits. It can make the soup thicken more than you would like. We still use pasta, but just make sure there is a plenty of liquid and that the pasta gets well cooked before packing up so you can add the right ratio of liquid. Does that make sense?

ETA: Sorry, I forgot that you wanted recipes! Here is a favorite chili recipe

http://www.food.com/recipe/mandis-white-chicken-chili-367455

I leave out the pepper jack cheese (it gums up a thermos and the cooking pot and the chili tastes great without it. Especially yummy served with lots of corn chips!)

Ok, here is another chili recipe that I just tried this month. The whole family loved it. It's unusual in that it is based on pork tenderloin (I had leftovers that I needed to use up and this was perfect for that)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dan-smith-and-steve-mcdonagh/all-day-pork-loin-chili-recipe/index.html

I did make some changes.....

I left out the bourbon and jalapeños, cut down on the honey and red peppers, added extra canned tomatoes, and reduced the spiciness to suit my youngest child's tastes. It was really good!

One more, and this is super easy:

Taco soup

4 cups of more of chicken broth

1/2 packet of taco seasoning (or an equivalent amount of homemade spice mix)

jar of salsa

1 cup of frozen, canned or fresh corn

1-2 cups of chopped or shredded chicken

Cook until well heated and serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and/or sour cream for topping. It will be moderately spicy.