Menu

How do you schedule chalk dust?

I just watched the first lesson and really like what I saw. I think my DD & DS are going to enjoy this program.

I was wondering though if you have your student watch the DVD one day, work a few examples and then work the excersises the following day as described? Some of the clips seems short and I am wondering if they can watch the DVD and do the excersies in one day instead?

For the first couple of years we used it, I would have him watch the video, read the text examples and work some of the problems. The next day I would have him work the rest of the problems I intended to assign. (We've never done a whole set of problems as there are just so many!)

Now, he schedules it himself. He usually does it the same way I had him do it when I scheduled it but I let him choose which problems he is going to solve for each section. He knows how his quizzes and tests are weighted for his grade so it behooves him to make sure he is getting the practice he needs to master the concepts.

He knows much better than I do which problems he needs to spend more time on.:) It's been working really well. He's scoring in the 90's, or even 100, on nearly every test and quiz and all work is getting done in a timely manner.

I was wondering though if you have your student watch the DVD one day, work a few examples and then work the excersises the following day as described? Some of the clips seems short and I am wondering if they can watch the DVD and do the excersies in one day instead?

Jean,

My son used the PreCalc program. If the video for a particular section was short, he'd watch it and start on the problems for the that section. The next day, he'd finish the problems for that section. I usually had him do 25 - 30 problems from each section and encourage him to do more problems in areas where he needed more practice. That ususally worked out to every 3rd or 4th problem because lots of the sets had over 100 problems.

Some of the longer sections in PreCalc, where the video segment was 45 - 60 minutes, required 3 days to complete.

HTH,

Brenda

Hi, Jean.

Ds watches the DVD. If it is twenty minutes, then he spends 40 minutes working problems the rest of the hour. Next day he keeps working problems. We had a wide variety of # of days required in the Pre-Algebra text. Things got more consistent in Algebra I, b/c there aren't as many of the looooong DVDs. Not sure what level you are talking about, but we just follow the rule of "one hour per day" in math. An AVERAGE of 3 days per section should complete the text in one school year. This allows days for testing, too. In Pre-Algebra, some sections took 1.5 days, some took 4.5 days! Eventually, you will get into a rhythm. Ds worked all the odds in Pre-Algebra, but I selected problems (about 35 - 40) in Algebra I. Also, I had "stop and checks" within the problem sets (after about every 8 - 10 problems or wherever there was a logical stopping point). This way, we knew we were not having conceptual errors along the way.

The one hour a day usually works pretty well. Sometimes it won't jive a few times, but overall, it worked for us.

We try and stick to a 1.5 - 2 hour day commitment to math.

He does it first every day, after Bible.

We tell ds what needs to be done by Friday at 3 pm and he figures out how to get it done. He has watched Prof. Mosely at midnight before on a busy week where he didn't manage his time right.

Gotta love homeschooling! :)