Menu

ARGH....once again science question for k-2...

genny

My little one's are interested in science...I'm not :ohmy:  :leaving:    We've got our basics rolling along nice and efficiently :thumbup:  I would like to add science into the mix next for them but I can't bring myself to use what I have :blushing:   I have bfsu, real science and elemental science.... I look at them and am bored to tears (probably because science doesn't interest me or are they all just boring programs???).  I would be teaching a 5 & 7 year old.  They both love dinosaurs, planets, animals .  I did the volcano exploding  thing with red dye and baking soda.  It was a huge success .... they made it and painted it.  They both really enjoyed being involved in the process. 

I need a program that is scripted but not boring (I don't mind scripted like aar, aas style).  I would like all the explanation right in the curriculum (I don't want to buy additional books, internet or library books).  Lot's of fun experiments that the kids can be involved in.  Designed for a instructor with very limited science knowledge. :blushing: :lol:

I don't want to waste money on another science curriculum flop...someone point me in the right direction.  I was looking at Nancy Larson but I can't really see too much of it from the sample pages.  Also,  I'm worried about it because it's from the same people who make Saxon math...right???  I bought Saxon and absolutely detested it .....sooooo boring IMO (no offense meant if you like it). 

Throwing this post out there in the hopes of getting some insight  on how to get out of this rut and get started instructing science and hopefully enjoy it along with the kiddos.

TIA :)

I have science-loving 5 and 7 yr olds, and we basically do what you do (MSB dvds, library books).

Because I wanted *some* structure, I purchased a science textbook (A Closer Look, grade 1).  I bought it used on Amazon.

We just go through it lesson by lesson.  Most of the experiments are simple and illustrated.  If I want to print any workbook stuff to go with it, it's available online for free.

I looked at Nancy Larson science, too, but I don't know that we'd like it.  I like the idea of all-included... but it does look a bit dry.

If you don't mind a religious science source, I actually like the ACSI science workbooks for grades 1-3.  They're not overly religious (IIRC) and they're worktexts that you can write in.  Very colorful with great pictures -- you can see them at CBD.com.

I have science-loving 5 and 7 yr olds, and we basically do what you do (MSB dvds, library books).

Because I wanted *some* structure, I purchased a science textbook (A Closer Look, grade 1).  I bought it used on Amazon.

We just go through it lesson by lesson.  Most of the experiments are simple and illustrated.  If I want to print any workbook stuff to go with it, it's available online for free.

I looked at Nancy Larson science, too, but I don't know that we'd like it.  I like the idea of all-included... but it does look a bit dry.

If you don't mind a religious science source, I actually like the ACSI science workbooks for grades 1-3.  They're not overly religious (IIRC) and they're worktexts that you can write in.  Very colorful with great pictures -- you can see them at CBD.com.

I prefer a religious science source but not overly.  I'll have to check out your suggestion.  Do you know if the program you mentioned has a lot of hands on stuff.

Do you like the science textbook you are currently using or is it just okay?  Hope you don't mind me asking...

This is our first year using Science: A Closer look.  We're using the grade 1 text so that both DD's can follow along (meet in the middle).  I like it well enough -- it's fairly basic.  We read a lot of nonfiction library books, but my kids tend to gravitate to life science/animal topics... so this has helped expose them to other things (forces of motion, earth science).  Plus the hands on suggestions are easy (and illustrated if we end up NOT doing them.)

Last year, my oldest used that ACSI worktext.  Some people say you can't use this without the teacher guide (big $$) but I thought it was fine without it for that level (grade 1).  It had some written work (not too much).  Again, very basic.  I would've used it again this year except I didn't want to have to buy workbooks for 2 kids ($20 each).  But I might go back to it next year...  I like the looks of it up to grade 6.  (Grades 1-3 are worktexts, grades 4th-6th have hardcover texts + student notebooks).

http://www.christianbook.com/acsi-science-student-book-grade-1/9781583312032/pd/2727503?event=CF

Evan Moore Daily Science. It looks like nothing but a cheesy workbook, but it's much more if you use it a guide to select library books.

The focus is the "Big Ideas" in the teacher pages. You CAN have the students do the workbook pages, but I never did. I just used the book as my teacher manual, and the workbook pages were an almost instant way for me to self-educate about the topic.

Each week is a topic that demonstrates the monthly "big idea", but is also a stand alone topic that is of high interest. So I would load up on high interest library books, but then draw the students attention back to the "Big Idea" with verbal discussion.

I sometimes used the workbook pages for ideas for the student to journal and notebook.

I'm not too concerned about acquiring elementary grade science knowledge...it's pretty basic but I think I'm just finding the curriculum really boring.  I don't want to dread doing science with them.  I don't think it's necessary at this age to formally teach science but my kids are showing interest so I would like to accomodate their interests in a fun engaging way.  I just can't seem to find a program I think we'd enjoy.

My hubby bought a Janice Vancleave experiment book and I also have mudpies and magnets.  I don't want to just do a bunch of experiments without some kind of explanation to the science.

Sorry if I'm rambly.  I guess I'm hoping someone will suggest something I haven't considered and it will be perfect. :tongue_smilie:

I just saw that Janice VanCleave has a book for teaching science to this age (getting some scientific method in there informally, and some explanation, so it's not just experiments)...Teaching the Fun of Science to Young Learners. Her Play and Find Out series also has a bit of info before each experiment -- honestly I feel like at this age, emphasizing the fun and discovery is much more important than having a coherent series of lectures to go along with.

I think I'd eyeball the key points that BFSU tries to cover in just one of its strands (for first grade, I'd do the Life Science thread, just because I like the organization of the WTM cycle of topics) and then I'd use their ideas to chat about that topic in daily life, while also doing occasional projects from VanCleave.

It's sort of what I'm trying to do right now, but I can't seem to stick to structure...a rough overview feels OK at this age though. In public school, my son has the only teacher who does any science in first grade, and they do things like dropping mentos into Diet Coke, or making hypotheses about whether a lump of modeling clay will sink or float. Really basic stuff. Not hard to do better.

I'm not sciency either and couldn't find a curriculum that I liked. I use BFSU for what order to teach topics in and use BrainPop, library books, and documentaries with the occasional experiment thrown in. We do nature walks weekly, as well. I don't think there is a challenging, open & go, secular science curriculum for k-8.

I feel like at this age, what's the point of science if not to internalize the scientific method? So do a bunch of experiments and focus on making hypotheses, recording results, and interpreting the results. When they're ready for older/more interesting curriculum, they'll already have a solid foundation in thinking scientifically.

I have those science curriculums. But frankly I like BFSU best. I pull each topic, borrow books and DVDs on that topic from the library. Watch YouTube clips and just have lots of on the go discussion. We don't really do experiments much. But my son loves to make little videos of himself explaining topics like the one below. It is a lot more involved than it looks. He had to script it, make an demonstration and then present it. Have you tried Pinterest to find activities that your children might like? Some kids like lapbooks a lot. I think essentially it depends on the interest of your children.

I have those science curriculums. But frankly I like BFSU best. I pull each topic, borrow books and DVDs on that topic from the library. Watch YouTube clips and just have lots of on the go discussion. We don't really do experiments much. But my son loves to make little videos of himself explaining topics like the one below. It is a lot more involved than it looks. He had to script it, make an demonstration and then present it. Have you tried Pinterest to find activities that your children might like? Some kids like lapbooks a lot. I think essentially it depends on the interest of your children.

Just wanted to say...your son is sooo cute! :001_smile:

I haven't looked at pinterest...good idea.  I haven't done lapbooking before. Where would I go to look into science one's?