Menu

Biology for Christian Young Earth non-evolution question

I don't find it hard to find resources that teach my beliefs of young earth creationism. My problem is that I find the evolutionists often treat creationists like they're idiots for their beliefs. Somehow our views are completely invalid for involving God in science. I am not wanting to start a debate on this thread. I just want to know how other like-minded parents help their teens wade through the arguments and attitudes from evolutionist materials and teachers. 

MFW scheduled in the New Answers Book from Ken Ham, and it was a good time for my 9th grader to read it.  It gets a bit repetitive because it's like each chapter is an individual essay, so they all have to start (or conclude) with explaining their premise (basically that there have long been Christian scientists, there still are Christian scientists, Christians do believe in truth, etc.).  Anyways, the book does go through all kinds of questions about How does X fit with the Bible?  There are 4 of these books now, I suppose because the specific debate questions continually develop.  I haven't read any beyond #1.

A book I read with my older dd was Men of Science Men of God.  It's been a while, but as I recall the major premise is that it's hard to imagine that modern science could have emerged without the Christian worldview of an ultimate truth and a predictable universe.

HTH,

Julie

If you believe in YE/etc. then you/your children are going have to defend those beliefs at some point, if you're not going to be able to ignore it. I have to defend evolution and other things when people act like I'm stupid for believing it and teaching it to my child.

We actually found that "evangelists" on each side treat the other side as if they were idiots or worse. 

Since which side of the issue one falls on means no more to me than how one believes about Atlantis or other historical things for which we have ideas/theories (or whatever you want to call them)*, we opted to teach our kids both (from "believers" of that view) - and show them that one really should be "careful" when supporting their side of any issue or one will look like an idiot themselves.  It was a good lesson in learning to ignore all the fluff and find the true "meat" of arguments.  That knowledge has carried over into being discerning in many other things (don't fall for the name-calling, etc, when deciding if something is valid - even whether one would like a TV show or not).

*(As for Cre/E, we do feel all should believe in what we actually see happening now with adaptations and virus mutations, etc, but I've yet to come across a source that disputes those.)

To help wade through attitudes while listening to arguments, we've taught some logic fallacies. used Fallacy Detective for a gentle introduction.  That kind of skill will carry over whether it is origins issues debates, hot topics in general, or just talking with people or sadly,dealing with the nut cases in church/life in general who attack us just because we homeschool.   no matter what the topic, no matter what the side of it.... people are like that.....

ps.....  even with the new answers book that mfw uses....  I found it helpful in that book to tone down some of the comments that young earthers had toward christians who don't share that view.  so, yeah... it goes all ways...  sadly. but there was one chapter in that book "don't creationist believe some wacky things"... that at least helped us to hear what some say.  but I've found that's the same attitutdes we get when some people find out we homeschool, or have a child with autism or a wide variety of things that not everyone approves or agrees.

We are neither YE, OE, nor evolutionists anymore. We do enjoy the A Beka science series which just happens to have several chapters through the middle school and high school years which do more to examine the circular logic and fallacies of evolution. These books then point to biblical passages in favor of YE. There are a few jabs at OE, but not much. It is more explaining that linear and exponential extrapolation of carbon dating is not possible. Perhaps you could start with one of those chapters if you are not familiar with them already.