Menu

UPDATE: retested(help again) Help me interpret dd's blood work..

Joker

The lab report sent to me only says abnormal and to retest in 1-2 months. I didn't even know they were testing her thyroid. Can someone explain to me why it's abnormal and what it could mean? Dd is 11 years old, 5'4", and 110 pounds if it matters.

T4, FREE   1.1   (0.9-1.4 ng/dL)

TSH W/REFLEX TO FT4   0.29  (mIU/L)

I've been searching a bit but thought someone here might be able to help. Thanks!

UPDATE:

So, we retested yesterday and the doctor noted it as abnormal again. Here are the results

T3 UPTAKE   28   22-35 %

T4 (THYROXINE), TOTAL   7.4   4.5-12.0 mcg/dL

FREE T4 INDEX (T7)   2.1   1.4-3.8

TSH   0.25   mIU/L

I'm guessing it's still noted as abnormal because the TSH is low? This time it was a bit lower but the T4 was higher. I don't get the rest of it yet, but it looks normal. We don't get to talk to the doctor again until her next appointment in 10 days. Does the low TSH really mean anything if the rest of it is okay?

TSH is low. That can indicate hyperthyroid. But the T4, Free is normal, so that is probably why they aren't worried right now and just want to retest later.

We had a family member with hyperthyroid. She was symptomatic and had an enlarged thyroid gland.

Is your dd having any symptoms that made you go to the doctor in the first place?

Try not to worry.  :grouphug:

If she isn't taking thyroid medication, I'd just keep an eye on it (loosely) unless she is having hyper-thyroid symptoms (and even then I'd be very careful about messing with a number so close to in-range).  I'd also consider any other test results of concern.  

If that is her only off result, she isn't having "hyper" symptoms, etc, there is no way I'd mess with it.  If she is on medication for hypothyroidism, that sentiment would be "times 800,000!"

Thank you! What you've both said is what I got looking online but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. I don't think it really means anything because she doesn't have any symptoms. She's always had a huge appetite and eats all the time, but that's her normal.

I don't really know why he ordered a thyroid test along with the others. She was in for weird symptoms (mouth ulcers, severe lip swelling, and neck pain) but we were just thinking infection. The other blood work all came back normal.

Okay, I do have a question/concern. This past year they have said they detected a slight heart murmur in this same dd. One of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism is irregular heartbeat. Is a murmur considered an irregular heartbeat or something completely different? I probably should stop googling...

My understanding is that a murmur is caused by heart valves that don't completely close, so there's leaking. I think the hyperthyroid irregular heartbeat would probably be a fast heart rate. I have tachycardia and I have been checked for hyperthyroid repeatedly, especially since it seems to run in my family. When my relative had hyperthyroid she would feel her heart racing and would tremble.

• 1 month later...

So, we retested yesterday and the doctor noted it as abnormal again. Here are the results

T3 UPTAKE   28   22-35 %

T4 (THYROXINE), TOTAL   7.4   4.5-12.0 mcg/dL

FREE T4 INDEX (T7)   2.1   1.4-3.8

TSH   0.25   mIU/L

I'm guessing it's still noted as abnormal because the TSH is low? This time it was a bit lower but the T4 was higher. I don't get the rest of it yet, but it looks normal. We don't get to talk to the doctor again until her next appointment in 10 days. Does the low TSH really mean anything if the rest of it is okay?

Possibilities I see: 1) No Free T3 testing. If that is low, then she may not be converting T4 to T3, 2) hyperthyroid causes increased appetite, 3) thyroid issues affect heart rate

She actually has a decreased appetite and is fatigued.

I'll make a note to ask about the free T3.

In waiting on more blood results that I think we're labeled ANA, which I guess are to look for autoimmune issues.