Menu

What should come after Algebra I?

Geometry will reinforce Algebra 1 concepts so students usually do not forget Algebra 1.

If Geometry is worked after Algebra 2 then the student has a higher risk of forgetting the Algebra 2 (since it will NOT be practiced/used for over a year).

Other than for the above reasons--it does not matter (Algebra 1 still needs to be completed first).

If a student takes Algebra I in 8th grade, then I don't think it makes as much difference. If he takes Alg I in 9th grade, though, I recommend Geometry in 10th grade. There is a lot of Geometry on the PSAT, which is taken in October of 11th grade for the National Merit Scholarship qualifying. Without a completed Geometry course, it's going to be tough to do well on that important test.

If a student is going to go on and take more advanced math, I recommend Alg I, Geometry, Alg II. As another poster said, Geometry has Algebra review built in to many problems.

Our local schools do Algebra 1, Geometry, then Algebra 2. In the local schools, Algebra 2 is mostly review of Algebra 1: first nine weeks is 25% new and 75% review - then 50/50%, etc. If you are using Videotext you would do both Algebra 1 and 2 as one intermingled program, understand it thoroughly, and be done with it.

but I would strongly recommend Algebra I, Geometry, then Algebra II. My dd flunked the second half of Algebra II because I had her do Algebra II before Geometry. The concepts in Algebra I help prepare the student for Geometry; Algebra is reviewed in Geometry, and some concepts (i.e., introduction to sine, cosine, and tangent) in Geometry lead into Algebra II and trig. The concepts in Algebra II were simply way over her head at age she was at the time (9th grade; 14/15 years old).

If I could do it over, I'd have my oldest do Algebra I, then Geometry, and then Algebra II. She would have felt less like a math failure then!

HTH!

I would do Algebra 1, Geometry, then Algebra 2 because I think they'll be better prepared for the PSAT in 11th, which has a lot of geometry in it.

My dc did Saxon Algebra 1 and 2 and part of Advanced math and did poorer on the geometry type questions on the PSAT.