Menu

Latin Prep for dd11?

kailuamom

I know some of you have suggested Latin Prep for my dd11, and I actually bought it for her. But, after looking through it, I am concerned if it is a good program for her to start with :001_huh: ...I guess my question is this:

Can a student who has never had any Latin jump in and start with Latin Prep 1?

Thanks!

We just started Latin Prep 1 a couple of weeks ago. My dd is only 8 (soon to be 9) so we are taking it very slowly. We did buy the workbooks for extra practice, and I'm making flash cards to reinforce vocabulary. And did I mention that we are taking it very slowly? :D But so far, she is really loving it! I definitely think it is do-able!

I have a memory box for Latin Prep. It contains noun declensions, verb conjugations, vocabulary, state of being verbs in various tenses, etc.

I HIGHLY recommend chanting and taking it slowly to over-learn the material especially in the first few chapters and in fact, all chapters.

Stick with it! You will learn so much and feel quite accomplished! I felt overwhelmed at first, but we are just about to finish!!!!! It took my 10 and 11 year olds the entire year to finish Latin Prep 1.

Penny

If you decide you want to back up a bit, Getting Started With Latin is a wonderful gentle introduction. My son did very well with it last year and so far this year Latin Prep has been easy for him. I'm glad with did GSWL, but I think you could also jump into Latin Prep (I'd do it slowly) and be fine.