Menu

evaluating math programs

Denisemomof4

Well, I homeschooled my oldest until high school and then (made the mistake of) enrolled him in high school. He's struggled with math in hs. He completed Saxon algebra 1 and was asked to repeat it in hs and aced through the class. This year honors algebra 2 and geometry w/proof were somewhat tricky for him and he had some struggles. He hates math and I'm so sad that I mad the choice I did for math. I used Saxon for all math in every level and only now am I understanding that it doesn't teach you to "think outside the box" and so now he hates math and can't wait to be done with it.

I'll be keeping my girls home and will not make the mistake of sending them to school like I did my boys. BUt I'm finding some of what I'm doing a little dull. Math is my biggest issue. I find Saxon so dry, dull and boring. I'm afraid to switch, though. Can someone give me input on other programs? I'm thinking of MUS and using my Saxon to supplement. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Denise

I use MUS with my younger son, but have not used the upper levels of it, so can't comment on it. I used VideoText with my older son for Algebra I and II with success. They now also have out a geometry program.

I have also heard many good things about Chalkdust and Teaching Textbook for upper level maths that have video teaching available.

Regena