Menu

Intro Python - what comes next?

Last year, I taught Python to my daughter then 10th grader.  She advanced quickly enough that she got a paid internship at our local university and her skills quickly advanced beyond me.  She was asked to return next summer.

This year, I am using the same Python with my 8th grade son and he really likes it, but I don't know what to offer him after this. 

I really don't know the logical sequence of computer science/programming, so I would appreciate your help.  Should I find the next level of Python?  Should I introduce another language?    My daughter suggested Linux because that is what she uses now.

A lot of the courses go to Java programming next.  The AP Computer exam is Java.  At the local high school, they do a semester of Visual Basic, then a semester of C++, then start with the Java (but I'd wager the Pyhon's a better place to start than the Visual Basic; I think that's just them stuck in older curriculum).  I'd like to know where to go after the Java... :)

A Question for you: How did your dd go about getting that internship?  My dd is in 10th grade now and into programming, and thinks she'd like a career that incorporates it - she would love some kind of internship, but I have no idea where to point her.  Also, what kinds of things did your dd work on at the internship?  My dd wonders what kind of work an internship would have her do.  Did your dd's internship have her using the Python, or did she get to learn another language?

I think it depends on their long term goals.  Have you checked out the classes available from places like Udacity and Coursera?  Many different options are available (free too!).  Also, you could look into degree requirements from colleges near you to get an idea of different options.

Here, students can take Visual Basic and then Java (AP Comp Sci) at the high school.  If they go on to take classes at the local University (a very easy option here, thankfully), the preferred sequence is Discrete Structures (discrete math) and then Data Structures in python or java (referred to as Comp Sci 2 at the U).  This is the info we got from the academic adviser at the University just yesterday.  The Comp Sci dept is stressing students taking Discrete Structures before getting too far in the programming sequence to help eliminate gaps, provide thorough foundation, etc.

We purchased an older version of the Discrete math book used in the class for DS to work through on his own.  DS is skipping Discrete Structures and going right into Data Structures next semester because of scheduling problems.  But, he does not want a CS degree.  If he was enrolled at the U and pursuing a CS degree, he would be required to take Discrete Structures first.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0072424346/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Over the summer DS did an internship with comp sci dept at the Univ and it was all SQL which he picked up quickly.  It was basically...repetitive data base searches.  This was a program offered by the U for which he applied.

The University uses python as its beginner programming language but the high school still uses java.  Also, the robotics team uses C++, but the school still teaches java.  The summer program DS wants to apply to next year...uses python too.  If my kids already knew python, I am not sure I'd do visual basic and java as much seems to be accessible via python.

Computer science is not a checklist of languages. It's about being able to implement more sophisticated programs, more efficiently, securely, etc. I doubt after one year of experience that your son has exhausted the possibilities of Python and needs to move on to something else. What drives his interest in computers? You could do game, database, or website programming for example. Don't learn a new language just for the sake of learning a new language. Writing sophisticated programs in one or two languages in high school is better than learning a bunch of langauges all at a superficial level.

Linux is not a programming language; it's an operating system. It's a good thing to learn, but it's a commitment to dedicate a computer to that if you don't have an extra around.

Janet

My son and I are involved in two local groups as a way to expand our skills.  You might check meetup.com and see if there is a Python or Raspberry Pi group in your area.  Ours meet bi-weekly and offer help on projects, as well as, do group projects.  For example, our python group is doing a battlebots project right now.  From a learning perspective it's great because you are being challenged to do something you wouldn't normally do and think through it.  The Raspberry Pi group is doing something similar with Minecraft modules.  If you can't afford an extra computer, a Raspberry Pi is a great option.  We bought a kit on Amazon that contains basic cables, the case, and the B version of the Raspberry Pi for like $50.  All we needed to add was the memory card.  Setting it up in itself is a lesson and they have a free magazine, MagPi, that has tons of great ideas for projects to do with it.

Grrr!  I just lost my long response.   :scared:

Typing fast since I need to get back to class - THANKS for all the input.  I really appreciate it.

A Question for you: How did your dd go about getting that internship?  My dd is in 10th grade now and into programming, and thinks she'd like a career that incorporates it - she would love some kind of internship, but I have no idea where to point her.  Also, what kinds of things did your dd work on at the internship?  My dd wonders what kind of work an internship would have her do.  Did your dd's internship have her using the Python, or did she get to learn another language?

We had a chance encounter with a computer science professor and he tracked me down a few weeks later.  DD learned third-year college level C++ and must have learned enough since she was invited back to work again next summer.

Internship ideas - send me a PM, I have a few ideas.