Menu

If I quit DITHOR, what other options are there?

melissamomof5

Honestly I wouldn't use DITHR with a first grader and not even with the 3rd grader unless they were advanced. Instead I would just have them read through the ER or DITHR book packs and discuss with them what they are reading. My ds used the DITHR 2/3 student book last year and is using 4/5 this year. I much prefer the 4/5 student book.

Honestly I wouldn't use DITHR with a first grader and not even with the 3rd grader unless they were advanced. Instead I would just have them read through the ER or DITHR book packs and discuss with them what they are reading. My ds used the DITHR 2/3 student book last year and is using 4/5 this year. I much prefer the 4/5 student book.

Oh yes, my 1st grader is a very advanced reader, but she's just doing the emerging readers this year. :)

My 3rd grader is reading the first level of DITHOR books, but I haven't had her do any of the workbook.

I am glad to hear a few people say not to worry about the workbooks. :) I really do like the DITHOR book choices though.

Oh yes, my 1st grader is a very advanced reader, but she's just doing the emerging readers this year. :)

My 3rd grader is reading the first level of DITHOR books, but I haven't had her do any of the workbook.

I am glad to hear a few people say not to worry about the workbooks. :) I really do like the DITHOR book choices though.

I think that sounds fine for those ages. For the 5th grader I would try to fit in DITHR if you can. What guide is he/she doing? I like adding in DITHR starting with either Preparing or CTC since it is only scheduled 3 days a week. It was much harder for me to add to Bigger since that guide is so teacher intensive.

I think that sounds fine for those ages. For the 5th grader I would try to fit in DITHR if you can. What guide is he/she doing? I like adding in DITHR starting with either Preparing or CTC since it is only scheduled 3 days a week. It was much harder for me to add to Bigger since that guide is so teacher intensive.

My 5th grader is in Preparing. :)

I guess I wonder if we do need anything at this point? Is it enough just to have them be reading these books...do we really need to do all the activities and worksheets with the books? It's just a bit overwhelming to me.

I don't believe it is *ever* necessary to do all sorts of activities and worksheets when reading a book. Not ever.

Does that answer your questions? :D

I LOVE CLE Reading beginning with 4th Grade (before that there are too many Light Units and too much phonics review). My oldest son has REALLY enjoyed it and it's an almost painless way to learn many skills. I highly recommend you look at the S&S. It's impressive and my son has truly learned a lot and retained well. What I like about it is that it is a skill builder without butchering an awesome chapter book. The kiddos use their readers (these really are fantastic) and the lessons are meaty! My son is 90% independent with it. 

Beginning with the 4th Grade Reading there are only 5 Light Units so it's about half a school year. This gives me plenty of flexibility with how we schedule it. You can continue allowing your kids to plow through piles of good books and not stop to analyze them =). I suppose it might be good to do lit. analysis at SOME point but the jury is out as to WHEN that should be. Everyone has a different opinion.  :coolgleamA:

I was replacing DITHOR with CLE Reading for my boys but we just dropped it.  I suddenly realized that I was robbing them of the joy of reading by making it too complicated.  My oldest kids (in college now) never did a reading program and one of them is an English major so I don't think all the 'busywork' while reading is necessary.

So, right now they are each just reading books.  Some from the DITHOR list, some from our shelves, some from the library.  Whatever catches their fancy.  In fact, I just saw a stack  of history books in my 4th and 6th graders rooms so they must be reading through those right now!

I usually end up in great angst every year about ignoring that box for DITHOR.  But everytime I get it out and look at it, I'm reminded that I always end up feeling like it's busy work, and repeated work from skills already in the HOD guide.  I've wondered in the past about how it ended up in the guides.  I'm guessing that because Carrie wrote that first, she felt obligated to fit it into each of the guides.  It seems so anti-Charlotte Mason that it just doesn't seem to "agree" with the rest of the program.  

I LOVE CLE Reading beginning with 4th Grade (before that there are too many Light Units and too much phonics review). My oldest son has REALLY enjoyed it and it's an almost painless way to learn many skills. I highly recommend you look at the S&S. It's impressive and my son has truly learned a lot and retained well. What I like about it is that it is a skill builder without butchering an awesome chapter book. The kiddos use their readers (these really are fantastic) and the lessons are meaty! My son is 90% independent with it. 

Beginning with the 4th Grade Reading there are only 5 Light Units so it's about half a school year. This gives me plenty of flexibility with how we schedule it. You can continue allowing your kids to plow through piles of good books and not stop to analyze them =). I suppose it might be good to do lit. analysis at SOME point but the jury is out as to WHEN that should be. Everyone has a different opinion.  :coolgleamA:

Thank you. :) I will look at CLE again.

I was replacing DITHOR with CLE Reading for my boys but we just dropped it.  I suddenly realized that I was robbing them of the joy of reading by making it too complicated.  My oldest kids (in college now) never did a reading program and one of them is an English major so I don't think all the 'busywork' while reading is necessary.

So, right now they are each just reading books.  Some from the DITHOR list, some from our shelves, some from the library.  Whatever catches their fancy.  In fact, I just saw a stack  of history books in my 4th and 6th graders rooms so they must be reading through those right now!

I usually end up in great angst every year about ignoring that box for DITHOR.  But everytime I get it out and look at it, I'm reminded that I always end up feeling like it's busy work, and repeated work from skills already in the HOD guide.  I've wondered in the past about how it ended up in the guides.  I'm guessing that because Carrie wrote that first, she felt obligated to fit it into each of the guides.  It seems so anti-Charlotte Mason that it just doesn't seem to "agree" with the rest of the program.  

Thank you. :) I appreciate your honesty and advice.