Menu

Statistics - AOPS or ?

I have been searching for an answer and not really finding it.  My ds (a junior) who is a science, math guy will be finishing TT Precalc in about a month.  He has done Chalkdust Algebra I and II and then TT Geometry.  He liked TT so much more he requested to do that for PreCalc.  He doesn't do the videos and has gotten perfect or almost perfect on every assignment.  I've rarely had to help him (I'm pretty proficient through pre-calc) because he has figured it out on his own.

His science teacher recommended that he do some statistics before he hits college where he plans on majoring in science.  So my present plan is one semester of statistics to finish off the year and then calculus for his senior year.  We are not near a good community college and most online courses would be a little too much for our budget.

So what are good options for one semester of statistics for a science major who is strong in math?  AOPS (which course?) or something else I've not spotted?  I wouldn't mind his calculus to be from the same publisher so any thoughts on that? ( I realize TT is not quite as rigorous as some but he does have it down really solid.)

Thanks!

I had considered doing Life of Fred Statistics with my son.  It looks like a full course to me (moreso than their other math books).  I was able to preview it through my library, and it is reasonably priced.

However, one other mom heard someone didn't find it AP quality:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/475260-statistics/?hl=statistics&do=findComment&comment=4998913

Julie

Still debating on calculus, feel like I have until next fall but am still starting to look. I know that he really didn't like Life of Fred when I wanted him to use it for Algebra. I like the look of Practice of Statistics. Wow, very expensive for 1 semester! I may consider renting through Amazon although we have never tried that.

Thanks all for the help!

As another idea, if the cost of the community college courses is okay and it's just the distance that's a problem, maybe you check if they offer their statistics class online.   Just research the instructors' ratings to make sure their class is good, the syllabus is clear, they communicate well and timely via e-mail, etc..

Still debating on calculus, feel like I have until next fall but am still starting to look. I know that he really didn't like Life of Fred when I wanted him to use it for Algebra. I like the look of Practice of Statistics. Wow, very expensive for 1 semester! I may consider renting through Amazon although we have never tried that.

Thanks all for the help!

There's no need to get the latest edition (4th) of The Practice of Statistics. Publishers tend to update texts more often than necessary with very little change between editions, just so that they can sell more copies.  I always looked for slightly older editions that were gently used & saved a lot of $$.

Here's the edition that we used. One of my kids self-studied from this text & the other one used it in her PA Homeschooler statistics class online. Excellent book! I would have no problem using it again if I had another student.

He will need a graphing calculator, though. This particular edition has specific instructions throughout for running statistical procedures on both TI 83 &TI 89 calculators.

• Like 1