Menu

Looking for a book with interesting facts and tidbits about animals for K-3rd graders

Kareni

I'm committed to doing an animal-themed story time for a group of kindergarteners through 3rd graders. I plan to include poetry, storybooks, and some facts about animals.

If you can recommend a book with interesting facts and tidbits about animals for K-3rd graders, I'd be very appreciative.

I'm thinking of books along the lines of Oh, Yuck! The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty though that would be better for older readers.

Regards,

Kareni

DK Eyewitness Books. We have one on poisonous animals, sharks, reptiles, and a few others. Mine kids are rising 2nd, 1st and K, so only my 2nd grader can really read anything in them, but the pictures are great. The books give you a lot of mileage, you can you them now for picture books, and later for more indepth studies with your kids. My kids just adore the books, I picked some up at a used bookstore while I was visiting my in-laws, and I've been adding ever since.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

BTW, these books aren't "cartoonish," they are actual pictures. The shark one is a little odd--they show a diver in a shark cave with a great white just wanting to get at him, but it's very informative and honest.

Erin

Birds Do the Strangest Things

Fish Do the Strangest Things

Animals Do the Strangest Things

Insects Do the Strangest Things

Reptiles Do the Strangest Things

I found these used at library book sales and they are my dd9's favorite books. She has loved reading them for years. You might be able to find them at your library.

DK Animal Encyclopedia is one my kids love. We also enjoy a child's first library of learning by time life books. They have Wild Animals, Insects and Life in the Water. The insect one is particularly good with pics of glowing lightning bug larvae!

Oh..and for sweet stories about animals, Jame's Herriots Treasury for Children is great!