Menu

High School Science for academic track

DD is in sixth grade this year, so I'm trying to get an idea of where we're going with science in the next six years. She is generally pretty academically inclined, so even if college turns out not to be the right path for her, I want her to have the academic courses she needs to have plenty of college options. I'm not necessarily shooting for Ivy League, unless my kids really want that, but I want them to have the coursework for something like an honors program at a good state school (which is what I did).

When I was in school, we did bio in 9th grade, chem in 10th, chem 2 in 11th (and some kids also took the much-harder-at-our-school bio 2 as well), and physics in 12th. No specific physical or earth science course, but if you were at all interested in college, you took four years of science, honors or regular, and I'm assuming that has not changed. Some college courses are very likely (whether through CC, Penn State branch campuses, online, or other small LA colleges) for our kids, and I'm not worried about figuring that out right now. If biology is expected on a transcript, for instance, I'll make sure they'll have biology, but whether that's at home or at a CC or whatever isn't important to me right now.

What I want to know is: what's expected on a transcript nowadays? I was thinking we'd do earth science next year and physical science the following year in eighth grade, but if colleges expect to see either of those on a high school transcript, maybe we'll wait. TIA for any advice!

I have not come across any requirements for Earth science or physical science. Typically, students would have biology, chemistry, and physics, and an advanced science in high school. The good schools want to see four years of science, and some of those should have a lab. How many lab sciences are required depends on the school.

I have not come across any requirements for Earth science or physical science. Typically, students would have biology, chemistry, and physics, and an advanced science in high school. The good schools want to see four years of science, and some of those should have a lab. How many lab sciences are required depends on the school.

Regentrude, thank you! By "advanced science," do you mean a second year of bio, chem, or physics, or something different? I am glad to see that it's not necessarily too different from when I was in school. :)

Regentrude, thank you! By "advanced science," do you mean a second year of bio, chem, or physics, or something different?

Either. One typical thing is to take AP in one of the sciences. In schools there are usually not that many options.

But in a homeschool, you could also do something totally different, study astronomy, marine biology or whatever your student is interested in. Or do dual enrollment. My DD, for example, will have four credits of physics when she graduates .

Okay, thanks! I'm thinking that we'll just have to see what she's interested in pursuing; I'd say that I think she won't be inclined to go into a science or math related field, because she tends to like history and languages more, but she loves animals, so who knows? But it sounds like we could hit earth science/astronomy next year and physical science the following year, and then bio, chem, and physics in high school, and then she could choose what she wants for 12th grade, because by then she'll have a better sense of where she's going post-high school. I just don't want to limit them accidentally nor have them repeat a topic too quickly and become bored. I do think AP classes are available for homeschoolers, and we're only two miles from the local high school, and we're allowed to participate in classes there, so I could easily look into AP options there.

I really appreciate the advice!

For the next two years, might I suggest you plan some strong but fun sciences? I have found that some middle school programs are snores and not particularly helpful in building towards high school science anyway (math turns out to be more important). So look for programs that will intrigue her. 

My daughter was one who did not take the sacred trio of Bio/Chem/Physics. Instead she followed this progression during high school --

9th: Physical Science

10th: Chemistry (Lab)

11th: G 101: Earth's Dynamic Interior (Lab)
11th: G 102 Earth's Dynamic Surface (Lab)
11th: G 146: Rocks and Minerals (Lab)

12th: ENVS 181: Terrestrial Science (Lab)

We allowed her to study the sciences that interested her at the community college in 11th and 12th grades (namely Geology and Environmental Science) rather than mandating that she study the more traditional Biology.  She went on to major in Latin and minor in Geology at the four year college she subsequently attended.

There are some colleges which do require the 'standard' three sciences -- Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. However, not all colleges do.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni, it won't let me "like" your post for some odd reason, but thanks! That's pretty cool that your DD minored in geology! And a major in Latin -- DD would love that! (Latin is her favorite subject.)

For the next two years, might I suggest you plan some strong but fun sciences? I have found that some middle school programs are snores and not particularly helpful in building towards high school science anyway (math turns out to be more important). So look for programs that will intrigue her.

Well, that is a good idea; thanks! I'm a little clueless, as science is by far my least favorite subject. We're using Mr. Q this year, and it's making it easy for me to get science done, plus the kids have liked the experiments, and I like that they're hitting a lot of vocabulary and topics that I didn't hit until at least 8th grade. That's actually what prompted me to start this thread -- I expect that Mr. Q will have his 50% off sale around the holidays, so I was thinking about whether we'd want earth or physical science for next year. I'm open to suggestions for middle school science that are relatively inexpensive, full of experiments/activities that teach the principles, and which are easy to implement (I will still have several littles for the next few years, so if it's not easy for me to implement, it won't get done -- "pretty good" that actually gets done trumps "excellent" that doesn't get done, IMO).

Definitely go for the 4th science if you think she might end up there at all. Even if she ends up in humanities, she will have to take more science if she goes Honors. I'd look up your flagship state university and see their requirements.

Good idea. Okay, I checked out our state uni, which is Penn State (which is also where DH and I went, so we can't say as we'd be heartbroken if any of our kids decided to go there, especially if they were able to go into the honors program), and their requirements are fairly basic -- three science classes required. No specifics are given, except that they say that prep in chem and physics are recommended, although not required, for the science and engineering colleges. The honors program doesn't require any additional coursework, but I also can't imagine that students applying for the honors program wouldn't have at least four science courses, even for liberal arts. So it seems to me that while it's good for me to check into what may have changed, it really doesn't seem like much has, in terms of requirements, and my plan to get my kids some combination of chem, bio, and physics, plus a fourth science class of some sort, sounds solid. :)

There are some colleges which do require the 'standard' three sciences -- Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. However, not all colleges do.

While not all colleges require Bio, Chem and Physics, every one I have looked at has had a requirement for at least one life science, one physical science, one science with lab and three sciences total. I have looked at some that require more, but that has been the minimum. Obviously Kareni found one that didn't have the life science requirement, but it is VERY common, so unless she really has a passion in one area, I'd make sure you have the balance.

Another fourth science option I didn't see mentioned (I skimmed so I may have missed it) is Anatomy and Physiology. Most colleges would look upon it favorably as an advanced science, but it gives a little variety instead of just being a second year of Bio/Chem/Physics. Where her interests lie by that time will really make the decision for you though.

I do want to second whoever suggested making 6th and 7th grade fun and interesting science. Follow her interests, learn a lot, but it doesn't have to be boring. I recommend Integrated Chemistry & Physics for 8th grade. Biology courses typically expects some chemistry exposure. If you do a middle school chemistry, then ICP isn't necessary, but if you haven't I think it is worth considering.

While not all colleges require Bio, Chem and Physics, every one I have looked at has had a requirement for at least one life science, one physical science, one science with lab and three sciences total. I have looked at some that require more, but that has been the minimum. Obviously Kareni found one that didn't have the life science requirement, but it is VERY common, so unless she really has a passion in one area, I'd make sure you have the balance.

Well, eight colleges accepted my daughter so I'd say that there are at least that many that do not require a life science!

But, yes, you/your child should definitely check to see what each college requires.

Regards,

Kareni

Well, eight colleges accepted my daughter so I'd say that there are at least that many that do not require a life science!

Regards,

Kareni

Point taken :).

I think your daughter also showed a passionate interest in another area. Many colleges will waive a "requirement" in the face of a strong interest driven course selection. This only works if the child actually has a real interest in something else as opposed to just avoiding a class they don't like though :). I suppose it could be faked, but I wouldn't count on it.