Menu

Yet another spelling question???????

Meljoy

I ordered AAS for my 10 YO and after receiving and looking through the book I realized this is WAY below my DC's level.

He really does not have the problem with spelling that my older two did. While I would not call him a 'natural speller' or a 'great speller'- he is definitely not remedial.... We just have not done formal spelling in the past, and I think this is the year to do it.

Sooooooooo, since I am sending AAS back this morning (I really like the program BYW and think it would be great for younger DC) I am thinking I will go with Sequential Spelling. :confused:

I was just about to order Sequential Spelling level one and went back to look at the site- and he can spell all of the sample words they give -for levels one and two- So do I start him in level three???????

I also looked at Mega words -would it be confusing to use both? What level would you start Mega words with? Do I REALLY need the TM or Assessment books????

ANY suggestions or help great appreciated. :bigear:

I started my 2nd with AAS when it was way below what she was capable of spelling. We whipped right through that first book, getting the basics of the program down. It helped because then we knew how the program worked. Now, she's working at a higher level and it's a lot harder. I'd encourage you to talk to Marie, the writer of the program, and see what she suggests. It has been a great program for my now 10 yo and 7 yo.

This is what I thought too when I first received it, but I'm going to try it anyway. Both the rep and Marie the author said to start with level one because the levels are not grade levels but a foundation for the upper levels. Greg the rep. said it's like math. They need to know add, sub, mult. & division before moving on.

HTH,

Well, I just dictated these sentences to him:

By the end of Level Three, your student will be able to write sentences such as:

My dog tried to eat my pennies!

Babies make me feel joyful.

Please put this in the house.

She didn’t clean her room.

Light the fire while I fry the fish.

Her team has thirteen members.

Now keep in mind- we have NOT started school yet and I did this while interrupting his lego building -but he misspelled

tried- tride

pennies - penies

babies -babys

feel -fill

:eek:

SO I guess it is worse than I thought! Maybe I do need to start at level one- it just seems soooooo easy......(at least I would not have to worry about sending anything back) I HATE being so indecisive!:001_unsure:

Is there a trial period on the AAS or a money back guarantee? Asking them to spell while they play with legos isn't the best way to get any focus, lol. If you decide to use AAS, know that he'll probably go through it faster given his age and it will have very good resale value.

Did you show him the materials? Does he like the approach or does it seem babyish to him? Can you try it a bit with him and see how it clicks?

Is there a trial period on the AAS or a money back guarantee? Asking them to spell while they play with legos isn't the best way to get any focus, lol. If you decide to use AAS, know that he'll probably go through it faster given his age and it will have very good resale value.

Did you show him the materials? Does he like the approach or does it seem babyish to him? Can you try it a bit with him and see how it clicks?

I am not sure about the trial period. I just received it Friday and have not taken the shrink wrap off the packaged materials- I just looked through (read) the book.

I realize his focus was not fully there -I just need to figure out what we are going ot do and order if I need to as we will be starting soon- that is why I went ahead and asked him to spell a few this morning.

I emailed & called AAS and asked for their opinion. Maybe they will be able to get back to me today.

:confused1:

Maybe I do need to start at level one- it just seems soooooo easy......(at least I would not have to worry about sending anything back) I HATE being so indecisive!:001_unsure:

It sounds like he doesn't know all the rules for spelling. The best things that my 10 yo learned from level 1 were the spelling rules. She had no clue.

I'll also admit. We didn't do the program as written. If she got it, then we moved forward. Sometimes, that included 3 - 4 lessons a day. I don't consider it time wasted because it built a very nice foundation for spelling. Now, she still does misspell words. Sometimes, it is due to forgetfulness on her part. Other times, she just doesn't know how to spell the word.

When we were going through this, my older, natural speller was amazed that my 10 yo did not know the spelling rules. There were also very few that I did not know or intuit, and I am also a natural speller. FWIW.

Another option is to look at Level 2. It repeats Level 1 in the first few lessons, though it goes at a very quick pace. I don't believe that Marie recommends this, but you might be happier with the pacing.

I am not sure about the trial period.

They have a ONE YEAR trial period. Open the material and see what it's like. It always helps to get your hands on the material, IMHO.

Would you son give an honest opinion? He might really like to play with the tiles. I know that my girls love it.

They have a ONE YEAR trial period. Open the material and see what it's like. It always helps to get your hands on the material, IMHO.

Would you son give an honest opinion? He might really like to play with the tiles. I know that my girls love it.

OK! OK! Thanks for the push! :001_smile:

I really think he will enjoy it. I was just worried about starting too far below his level- but it sounds like he needs the foundation.

Thanks- I will check out the blog entry-

I talked to the guy at AAS and he said the words were very easy in level one- BUT the rules were what need to be learned -just because he know how to spell a word did now mean he knows why it was spelled that way...anyway I have no idea if I am making sense but it made perfect sense when he said it. I plan to move through book one pretty quickly though...let the cutting begin...

Melody,

I just posted a long blog entry about how I teach spelling. You might find it helpful.

I thought I would add for anyone reading this blog, Simply Spelling does have the children learn and remember the spelling rules that apply to the words that are the focus of spelling in the sentences. Clear as mud right?:tongue_smilie:

I just ordered "How to Teach Spelling" the manual for all grade levels, I thought this would be a good place to start for our family. I was so undecided as to what program to use. I got it from Paperback Swap!!