Menu

Preparing for a Palate Expander

Staceyshoe

Ds is getting a palate expander later this month.  I can only assume that his mouth will be sore and that he won't want to bite down on anything hard.  Other than having soft foods available, is there anything I can do to prepare for this?  (His pain tolerance isn't the best, so I'm guessing that this could be a bit traumatic.)

Have plenty of ibru or tylenol on hand. It may feel really tight and sore each time they (or you) turn it, or it may not be that bad--hard to say.

Make sure you have a water flosser or other flosser on hand (there's one called a hummingbird that is pretty easy to use and not as messy as a waterpik), as you will want to keep it clean. 

Hang in there! 

I have the memory that some of mine had a harder time with the spacers that they had in preparation for the palate expander than the actual expander. I would be prepared for that with pain reliever and soft foods. My kids didn't feel pain only pressure with the turning. One had sore spots off and on from the metal hitting the inside of her cheek but there's wax for that.

The increased saliva is kind of gross but that only lasts a very short time. Sore tongue also. Just let them know that will go away soon. I think it would be scary to think you had to actually live with that discomfort for a long time, rather than knowing it will only be for a few days or so.

The device goes in and is in for about a year without coming out. They tell you not to eat certain things that can get stuck in it, but basically it's life as normal. It influences speech a bit.

You get a "key" and insert it in a hole in the expander and make a turn, or two, everyday or every other day. I had one dd who needed more turns than another. It seemed I was turning forever and I think we set the world record. She has a very nice smile now and good cheekbones. Once you stop the turning phase, the expander is left in for several months.

Can someone give me more details about this? DS may be getting one and I don't really know exactly what it is. Do they ever take it out? How long do they have it? Can you eventually eat regular foods? 

I think it varies depending on the orthodontic problem and the dr.  We saw 4 orthos before choosing ours.  They all recommended an expander but had very different protocols for both the expander, braces, and teeth pulling.  The dr we chose will leave the expander in for 3 months and then place a small space-saving device for approx another year.  (If ds didn't still have so many baby teeth, the space-saving device may not be necessary.)

Do not get confused if you let your dc have some cheese crackers right after the device is applied. Do not assume that the speck of orangey yellow you see in the roof of their mouth is cheese cracker goo. Do not scrub their mouth out with everything from a toothbrush, to a Waterpik, to a fire hose and scrub brush, trying to get rid of the suspected goo. Do not apologize profusely to the orthodontist's staff when they take the appliance out, feeling so horrid about that goo in there.

It is not goo. It is the arrow showing which direction to turn the key to expand the device. It is molded into the plastic. No amount of vigorous scrubbing would have removed it. Do not hang you head in shame, remembering all you have put your dc through, trying to scrub it out.

This did not happen to me, no! Um...it happened to ...a friend of mine. Yeah, a friend of mine.

Do not get confused if you let your dc have some cheese crackers right after the device is applied. Do not assume that the speck of orangey yellow you see in the roof of their mouth is cheese cracker goo. Do not scrub their mouth out with everything from a toothbrush, to a Waterpik, to a fire hose and scrub brush, trying to get rid of the suspected goo. Do not apologize profusely to the orthodontist's staff when they take the appliance out, feeling so horrid about that goo in there.

It is not goo. It is the arrow showing which direction to turn the key to expand the device. It is molded into the plastic. No amount of vigorous scrubbing would have removed it. Do not hang you head in shame, remembering all you have put your dc through, trying to scrub it out.

This did not happen to me, no! Um...it happened to ...a friend of mine. Yeah, a friend of mine.

LOL! :)

Ear plugs for yourself because the slurping noise kids tend to make when they have a pallet expander will drive you insane after awhile.

Also, have your child be careful when swallowing pills.  They tend to get stuck between the expander and the roof of the mouth.  Then you will hear even worse sounds than slurping!

Ear plugs for yourself because the slurping noise kids tend to make when they have a pallet expander will drive you insane after awhile.

I had forgotten about that!!! Those days showed the shallow limits of my tolerance levels. . .

Thankfully she finally adjusted. Her ortho recommended lots of reading aloud to help her adapt to the device. So in other words, school as usual... ;)