Menu

History of the World

Who is using the History of the World series?

Is the 4th book due to be published any time soon?

The Medieval book comes as a whispersync deal where the audio is only $5.49, but the other audios seem to be $34.95. Ouch!

http://www.amazon.com/The-History-Medieval-World-ebook/dp/B003JE1GSE/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

Are there any support materials, blogs, schedules, etc.?

Who is using the History of the World series?

Is the 4th book due to be published any time soon?

The Medieval book comes as a whispersync deal where the audio is only $5.49, but the other audios seem to be $34.95. Ouch!

http://www.amazon.com/The-History-Medieval-World-ebook/dp/B003JE1GSE/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

Are there any support materials, blogs, schedules, etc.?

There is a sticky at the top of the High School board with info about the new study guide to go along with the ancient volume. The study guide (iirc) is written by a William & Mary colleague of SWB.

Thanks Sebastian. It's too bad the whispersync deal is not for the book with the study guide.

What are people planning to do after HotW? Does HotW end right where American History picks up? Yes, that would be switching from a world perspective to an American centric perspective, but chronologically is it sound? Or does it leave a significant gap?

It's only been about 6 months since I unsubscribed from Audible.com. They offered me a 3 month deal of $7.95 a month for a book credit a month, and 30% or more off of any book. I thought I was only supposed to be offered that deal after I had been unsubscribed for a year, but the chat box popped up, and I thought I'd ask.

So I can get any of the HotW audios for just $7.95 each.

Lol! I ignored your thread until now because I read it as History of the "World Series" and have no interest in the history of baseball.  :lol:

We used HotAW last year and followed her suggestions in TWTM for reading and writing about history. This year we needed to switch to a different book.

Lol! I ignored your thread until now because I read it as History of the "World Series" and have no interest in the history of baseball. :lol:

We used HotAW last year and followed her suggestions in TWTM for reading and writing about history. This year we needed to switch to a different book.

Did you find the book too hard?

I like the audio along with the book for reading practice and hearing historical names and such. I think maybe it's not the best way to tackle historical content, though, for students that are actually at the high school level. I'm thinking of returning the Medieval Kindle book, while I still can, and just keeping the audio book as that cannot be returned. At least I don't think it can. I tried the medieval whispersync deal.

EDIT: Kindle books can be returned for 7 days. Audible.com books can be returned for a YEAR!. I just returned them both. I just wish I'd been quicker to return the Stobaugh books. I'm doing a lot of buying and returning the past few weeks. Sigh!

Did you find the book too hard?

No, the book wasn't too hard.  The time frame I chose for ds to learn about was from 400 - 1800. It would have required the last two  SWB books and then some. So I just went with something different.

No, the book wasn't too hard. The time frame I chose for ds to learn about was from 400 - 1800. It would have required the last two SWB books and then some. So I just went with something different.

As well as hard, there is the issue of volume. And it looks like the series is going to get fatter as it progresses. It's just too much for my goals.

The audios are very nice and the Kindle books are nicely formatted. They make a nice listening and reading experience.

Lol! I ignored your thread until now because I read it as History of the "World Series" and have no interest in the history of baseball. :lol:

I'm going to edit the title. Thanks!