Menu

Mashable: Coding the Curriculum: How High Schools are Reprogramming Their Curriculum

I am certainly very much in favor of learning programming and can see its value in math and science (if it augments, but not replaces, math and science instruction), but unless all students are proficient in their use of the English language, can write coherent and well-organized papers, and have the reading comprehension to understand both literature classics and technical writing, coding in English class is a waste of time.

Actually, programming is rather simple to learn once you need it. I don't see a pressing need to introduce it in 6th grade.

Programming is  a tool, and learning to use a tool should not take more room than mastering concepts.

I read the article and got the impression that they hadn't figured out how they we going to work it into English yet either.

I agree with Regentrude, it's easy enough to learn when you need it. Teaching it in every subject starting in 6th grade sounds like busy work that will displace what they should be learning.