Menu

Alternatives to Scholastic Book Club?

Our homeschool group has a school teacher who lets us buy book club with her, and DD has always loved going through the flyers and picking books, and, with the full range of flyers open, has usually been able to find a few that were both reasonably priced and good books.

We just got the Sept/October ones, and honestly, there's pretty much nothing there for her. She's getting downright frustrated because everything is either too easy, paranormal and scary, overly romantic, or dystopian and scary. And a lot of the stuff for younger kids is just plain...bad.  There really aren't many classic/high quality fiction books, period, and the non-fiction is either trivial little kid stuff, or really, really expensive. But she loves not only getting new books, but the day the book order comes in at co-op and all the kids talk about and share what books they've gotten. Ordering a few books from Amazon isn't the same thing.

Is there any alternative that I can suggest for our HS group other than Scholastic that has a wider range of books, and maybe higher quality books, while still having a decent number of $1-$5 books?

I don't know, but gee, that is a pretty gravy deal for the teacher!

Scholastic used to make it very easy to set yourself up as a teacher and get the flyers. Then your group would benefit by the "free"perks she is getting rather than her classroom.... 

Did you check online to see if there is another flyer that might be better suited for you? I haven't looked at them in awhile, but there was always overlaps on some of them.

Otherwise, i'd love to hear if there is something else too!

We have all of them. I really don't mind the teacher getting the bonus points-I know how little is provided to teachers in my area, so if those bonus points lets her buy good books for her class library and good resources for teaching, that's fine. Realistically, it wouldn't surprise me if almost all her sales and points come from homeschoolers, knowing the school she's in.

But this year, they've changed the clubs so that instead of covering several grade levels, and then having a range of books within that grade level, you only automatically see the ones labeled your child's grade-so for my DD, that means we see only 4th, and the books range from, maybe 2nd-5th grade level, and most of it are series books with names like "Dork Diaries" and middle school settings and characters. Because of the way the teacher has it set up, we do get all the flyers and website access, but the "Teen" level, instead of including a lot of cheap reprints of classics, seems to be mostly books on a 5th-6th grade reading level, but with more mature themes, which my 8 yr old isn't ready for and/or interested in yet.

I hear what you are saying.  I have been getting the book club fliers for more than 20 years now, although there has been some combining of companies along the way.  Their offering of cheap books was more appealing before amazon though.  Now their prices are similar to amazon or sometimes even slightly more expensive.  Most of the book title are now mostly twaddle with a gem here and there.  Sometimes my children enjoy what I consider twaddle book though.  Usually after they have read it, I pass it onto the library donation box.

I don't know of any other book clubs out there though.  I'm all ears if someone knows of one though!  My children also love looking through the fliers.  Getting a catalog of books at their interest or grade level is fun!  I wish they were better books.

• 3 weeks later...