Menu

I am "search" challenged, looking for info, need help

Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

I know a specific thing happened at a specific time to a specific person, however I cannot find any info on it when trying to search the internet.

Back in my high school days there was a murder of a man who's wife was a dear friend. I have been thinking about this case lately and since it happened when I was still a kid lots of info was kept from me. It is like this thing never happened. Nothing I have looked up has given me an ounce on info regarding this. Any ideas?

Have you tried different search engines? (google, bing, msn, etc.). Also, sometimes it helps when I search for different combinations to find info. The name alone, a name and a city, or something like that. It seems odd to me that info about a murder in the past would now be nonexistent. I am not very computer savvy, so hopefully someone else will have more ideas to offer.

I have tried his name, the place he was murdered, the wife, the date, and combos of these. One interesting aspect was someone who might have been a suspect or had connections with the case was a former FBI person. I know of at least one case (during his FBI days) he was involved in and even that info is not showing up. I am beginning to feel like I imagined the whole thing.

I have tried his name, the place he was murdered, the wife, the date, and combos of these. One interesting aspect was someone who might have been a suspect or had connections with the case was a former FBI person. I know of at least one case (during his FBI days) he was involved in and even that info is not showing up. I am beginning to feel like I imagined the whole thing.

Would you be willing to post or send me some of the information?  I like trying to find things/people/information on the internet, and while I'm not great at it, I am willing to try and would enjoy the opportunity.

mmtrostle@gmail.com  - if you are willing to share any specifics

I'd try searching the site of the newspaper in the town where it occurred.   If it made the news, it might be archived.  If the paper is/was too small to have a website, maybe the local library would have such info on microfiche.

Tried that but the archives only go to 1989 online. It happened in New Orleans so it is a big enough newspaper but I am in Iowa and not sure I can get microfilm of a New Orleans Newspaper.

Isn't there a group of people that studies and tries to solve cold cases?

I talked with my mom today and asked her questions. Seems I was kept very much in the dark due to age. of course now my curiosity is extremely peaked.

Here is the name of the victim and the place murdered....figured that is public record and I am not giving info I should not give.

George Powell, died 1985, murdered due to gun shot to the head in the parking lot of La Cuisine restaurant on Harrison Ave, New Orleans, Louisiana

So there was never an arrest made and no trial? Sometimes deaths from pre widely available internet days, even with murder, are hard to locate. There may be no internet record. I'll search though!e

edited to add: are you sure of the year of death? I'm not even finding a death record in LA with that name and year in a quick initial search.

So there was never an arrest made and no trial? Sometimes deaths from pre widely available internet days, even with murder, are hard to locate. There may be no internet record. I'll search though!e

edited to add: are you sure of the year of death? I'm not even finding a death record in LA with that name and year in a quick initial search.

I am pretty sure. I was a senior, it was right after ring day (lots of reasons I remember the events of the day). However it could have been early 1986. So either one of those years I am most definite about, but I am leaning more towards late 85.

Ah, it looks like death records are confidential for 50 years in LA. So it's probably just not in the records database I was looking in. edited to add--38 years old? I think the death is in SS records anyway. I am finding nothing on the murder though. My guess is that nothing was ever placed online due to the date. I haven't been able to find accidental death information online, that I know occurred and were in the news, from even a bit later than that time frame in the past. Those records are archived, just not online--at least that's what I've found.

There is a George Powell listed on the SSDI as having died in N.O. in 1985.  He is one of the >8000 George Powells listed as having died in N.O.

A number of other avenues have not panned out . . . yet.