Menu

Need winter vacation rec's

birchbark

We live where the winters are long, and seem to get longer the older I get. DH and I have discussed the possibility of moving, as well as snowbirding, as he works from home. However, neither option seems realistic right now. So now we're talking about the idea of a yearly winter vacation for a week, just he and I. What are some good destinations to look at? Really would like it to be warm and sunny. We've been to FL a couple times (east side) midwinter and really weren't that impressed with the weather. Also it would be nice if ticket prices were decent and lodging reasonable. Any best-kept-secrets we should be looking at? Or any good websites with special travel deals?

In college, I went to Costa Rica in January. It was summertime there. It wasn't humid but it was warm and sunny and green. The time zone is similar to US so no jet lag. Back then, prices were very low. I'm not sure about now. I would definitely consider it. Also, there are lots of options: beaches, nature/eco tours, spas, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with this site?

http://www.cheapcaribbean.com/

Yes, I've used them and got exactly what I paid for and was happy with the vacation. We do exactly what you're talking about and have for years now - 5-7 nights on a warm, sunny beach in January. We've been to Cancun a few times, Los Cabos, Jamaica, and Costa Rica. We just booked our hotel in Cozumel for this January.

I highly recommend signing up for the TravelZoo Weekly Top 20 email list. Best list of cheap travel deals I've found anywhere!