Menu

Drawing Diagrams

I just realized I have two kids who for the life of them cannot draw diagrams to show how they worked out a problem.  They can explain how to solve it in words, they get the numbers right but for some reason drawing a rectangle to represent a board and a line indicating that it has been cut into two pieces, one of them being longer than the other, is impossible.

Does anyone know of any materials that practices just that?

I don't know that I'd use any special materials for this. Can't you just revisit their earlier math books and pull problems to look at this. Money and geometry sections from past textbooks ought to be quite useful. You can browse around online for a few things, but to answer your original question, I don't know of any resource that practices just modeling with diagrams/graphs thought there are usually chapters/sections about it in textbooks.

Thank you both for your suggestions.  

Clear Creek, that looks perfect.  The whole thing really stumps me because it makes no sense to me.  I can somewhat understand the older one's difficulties as he has major vision issues and I myself struggled with something similar because I have no 3-D vision. My daughter though doesn't have any of those hang-ups, she can interpret graphs and diagrams just fine, just not draw them.  Maybe I should look into an art class :P