Menu

rome books for 6 and 4 year olds.

kiwik

We are not ready to study Rome yet (we have done Egypt and are doing backtrack to prehistory before Greece and then Rome at Christmas)but ds6 says they are going to do something about ancient Rome at school next term (in 2 weeks). I haven't started looking for books yet and if I order they won't get here in time.

Can anyone recommend anything available on kindle. Ds4 is able to listen to chapter books provided they are not too wordy (we will reread the magic treehouse book we have but another book would be good - i was planning on getting the you wouldn't want to be book but there is not time.

"The Story of the Romans" by H. A. Guerber is in the public domain, on Google books and archive.org. I downloaded it on my Kindle Fire pretty easily, or you could get the PDF and transfer it. I've started it with my 6yo and he has been able to follow pretty well, and his 4yo sister didn't mind hanging out (or wandering off nearby).

We are not ready to study Rome yet (we have done Egypt and are doing backtrack to prehistory before Greece and then Rome at Christmas)but ds6 says they are going to do something about ancient Rome at school next term (in 2 weeks). I haven't started looking for books yet and if I order they won't get here in time.

Can anyone recommend anything available on kindle. Ds4 is able to listen to chapter books provided they are not too wordy (we will reread the magic treehouse book we have but another book would be good - i was planning on getting the you wouldn't want to be book but there is not time.

On Kindle:

Magic Tree House Fact Finder #14: Ancient Rome and Pompeii, a Companion Book to Magic Tree House Vacation Under the Volcano

If I Were a Kid in Ancient Rome...

Classical Kids: An Activity Guide to Life in Ancient Greece and Rome

Explore Ancient Rome: 25 Great Activities

Story of the World vol. 1

On YouTube:

David Macauley's Roman City -- probably geared more for ages 8-12.

Horrible Histories: Romans (series of videos)

Library:

And if you can put a hold on a few titles and make a quick trip to the library... there are quite a few Usborne books on Ancient Rome that are geared exactly for that age -- loads of illustrations and not too wordy:

Romans (Usborne Beginners)

Who Were the Romans (Usborne Starting Point)

The Story of Rome (Usborne Young Reading series) -- early edition was The Riotous Story of Ancient Rome

Pocket Guide to Ancient Rome (Usborne Everyday Life series)

Time Traveler: Visit Medieval Times, Ancient Rome and Ancient Egypt

And your library might also have some stepped readers and picture books:

Pompeii: Buried Alive (Davis)

Pompeii: Lost and Found (Osborne)

On Kindle:

Magic Tree House Fact Finder #14: Ancient Rome and Pompeii, a Companion Book to Magic Tree House Vacation Under the Volcano

On YouTube:

David Macauley's Roman City -- probably geared more for ages 8-12.

Horrible Histories: Romans (series of videos)

Library:

And if you can put a hold on a few titles and make a quick trip to the library... there are quite a few Usborne books on Ancient Rome that are geared exactly for that age -- loads of illustrations and not too wordy:

The Story of Rome (Usborne Young Reading series) -- early edition was The Riotous Story of Ancient Rome

Wow! Great list, and thanks for taking the time to put list it all. Very timely for us as well:)

If they like historical fiction, Miranda the Great (Estes) is on Kindle.  That might be a good complement to the nonfiction your oldest will be getting at school, and it's short enough that my oldest enjoyed it at 4.

We really like the Usborne Time Traveler series Lori D mentioned too, but it's not on Kindle unfortunately.  Tiger Tiger (Lynne Reid Banks) might be a possibility on Kindle for your oldest, but the tigers are treated badly enough that some kids (like mine!) won't enjoy it at that age.

On Kindle:

On YouTube:

David Macauley's Roman City -- probably geared more for ages 8-12.

Horrible Histories: Romans (series of videos)

Library:

The Story of Rome (Usborne Young Reading series) -- early edition was The Riotous Story of Ancient Rome

Thanks so much. I'd forgotten I had a kindle version of the fact tracker for the magic treegouse book. Off to have a look.