Menu

UPDATE: Potential common ingredient in ketchup and bbq sauce?..

Ann.without.an.e

Skin prick test showed nothing :(  At first she said mustard looked bad, but then when she measured it she said it wasn't large enough.  He has many weals, just none large enough to claim.  Should I be leary of mustard?  

I am really wondering about an allergy to sulfates or another additive.  The BBQ we use is natural but it has molasses and molasses is high in sulfates.  I really want to figure this out.  

My friend's child is anaphylactic to a ton of stuff and has lesser reactions to some other items. The best test was the Great Plains IgG. Skin prick seems to often not work. Here is a link to the company. You can get it at a lab without a doctor now I think. http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/total_igg_vs_igg4.asp

My husband is allergic to sulfites. In food, meds, drinks etc. It is in everything (just about) premade. Sulfer dioxide and other derivatives are used as preservatives, dough conditioners in bread. It is in salad dressings, sauces, brown sugar, molasses (although he has less of a reaction to thing in which the sulfer is naturally occuring), dried fruit, caramel coloring. Pretty much you name it and it is in it in one form or an other.  It is even sprayed on crops as an anti fungicide.

He gets itchy, yucky eyes, oral lesions, migraines, bowel issues, fatigue, irritibility and other issues.

Jenn

My husband is allergic to sulfites. In food, meds, drinks etc. It is in everything (just about) premade. Sulfer dioxide and other derivatives are used as preservatives, dough conditioners in bread. It is in salad dressings, sauces, brown sugar, molasses (although he has less of a reaction to thing in which the sulfer is naturally occuring), dried fruit, caramel coloring. Pretty much you name it and it is in it in one form or an other.  It is even sprayed on crops as an anti fungicide.

He gets itchy, yucky eyes, oral lesions, migraines, bowel issues, fatigue, irritibility and other issues.

Jenn

It is so encouraging to know that he also gets yucky eyes.  The allergist dismissed sulfites as the cause saying that sulfite allergy presents as asthma and not as an eye issue.  I am really thinking sulfites though.  In fact, yesterday DS had wheat, etc but I was careful to avoid sulfites and he is fine today.  We eat salad almost everynight and we use white balsamic vinegar and olives in red wine vinegar, and dried fruit - a sulfite nightmare I am sure.

It is so encouraging to know that he also gets yucky eyes.  The allergist dismissed sulfites as the cause saying that sulfite allergy presents as asthma and not as an eye issue.  I am really thinking sulfites though.  In fact, yesterday DS had wheat, etc but I was careful to avoid sulfites and he is fine today.  We eat salad almost everynight and we use white balsamic vinegar and olives in red wine vinegar, and dried fruit - a sulfite nightmare I am sure.

Dried anything is almost always dosed with sulpher dioxide to preserve it's color.  My husband had asthma as a kid and out grew it.

I always find it kind of iritaitng when Dr's dismiss a symptom as not of that allergy. We all react differently to things. Just because the majority does not get yucky eye that does not mean your son won't.  The Dr. was no help with my husband. He had a documented allergy to supha drugs after a bad reaction to Demorol in his teen but the food thing was all my reasearch.