Menu

Singapore Math vs. Mathmatical Reasoning (Critical Thinking Co)

kajm

We are currently using Singapore Math, but my 4th grader is starting to develop a strong dislike for math.  I think this is a very good program, but if your child doesn't like it so well, well then....  If there are too many problems on the page, he starts to shut down, etc.  It's like pulling teeth sometimes.  He likes colorful pages, fewer problems per page, and an "enjoyable" challenge.  Redundancy would not work well (even though he needs it sometimes).  In looking around, Mathmatical Reasoning might work.  I still want the challenge and something that makes him think.  Singapore has great word problems, which is something I like about it.  Is there a colorful, engaging alternative?

Math in Focus is Singapore that is more appealing visually (full color text, good spacing, etc.) My son (4th grade) who has similar issues likes the look, and the level of practice seems just right for him. You can see full samples on the publishers website. My son took one look and asked me to please buy it. We've used it for several years now. It's still the best fit for us. I have never purchased the Instructor's Guides, but just the student texts and student workbooks. So it's actually quite reasonable in price.

I don't know anything about Mathematical Reasoning though! edited to add: I did a search here (well actually via google ala mathematical reasoning site:forums.welltrainedmind.com, because the search function here is weak). Have you done that?

Thanks for the input. 

No, I haven't checked out Math Buddies that I recall, but I will look into it.  Would prefer books though, if something can be found.

Thanks sbgrace for the thought to search the forums using Google.  I had used the search function here, but, as you imply, didn't get much; or at least not much I didn't have to wade through to get to what I was really looking for. 

Continuing the search!

Thanks for the input. 

No, I haven't checked out Math Buddies that I recall, but I will look into it.  Would prefer books though, if something can be found.

Thanks sbgrace for the thought to search the forums using Google.  I had used the search function here, but, as you imply, didn't get much; or at least not much I didn't have to wade through to get to what I was really looking for. 

Continuing the search!

Do look at Math in Focus. It's "Math in Focus, A Singapore Approach". If I recall, it's based upon the Singapore My PALS are here program, which is very expensive shipping to US. But it's Singapore with color/visual appeal.

Mathematical Reasoning used to be supplement books only.  They recently added a series meant to be a full curriculum for up to grade 6.  Whether it is or is not "full" for any particular child depends on the child.  But it has definitely changed from what it was.  

If number of problems on the page is the problem, I would be tempted to just type out my own workbook space out more. 

As for color, I've got bad news for you and him, he's in fourth grade books are going to get more and more black and white over the next couple of years. 

The flip side of this bad news is that he should be outgrowing the desire for colorful as well. 

I have and use the most recent version of Mathematical Reasoning - it does not look like a full curriculum to me. It looks like a challenging supplement and a prep book for achievement testing. For me, it does not have a textbook feel - It is not strong in "teaching" but rather tests what your student might have learnt.

Would Mathematical Reasoning + Challenging Wrod Probs (SM) + Zaccaro + LOF work for your son? I also suggest that you pre-read SM material and pick and choose what your son needs to do on each page - for example, just 2 problems in a chapter where he might know everything. Or skip a chapter when he knows it already.

You might also want to check out MEP - it is a more fun math curriculum.

Thank you ashleysf, for those suggestions.  I hadn't even heard of Zaccaro but it certainly has possibilities.  I have LOF on a shelf, I need to get it off and start it.  And since I like the word problems of Singapore, maybe just adding their Challenging Word Problems to something else would give me the best of both worlds.

I understand that as ds gets older, the books are going to become less colorful, but I want to get him to the point where he enjoys math again first.

I failed to mention in my earlier post that this child needs things to move quickly; if things don't click right along, he loses interest fast.  I had read a review that said Mathematical Reasoning jumped from topic to topic, then spiraling back around at certain intervals to hit a topic again.  That actually sounded like a good alternative for this dc.

Any more suggestions or reviews?

I'm using mathematical reasoning, fred, and rod and staff for drills. We read one chapter from fred, he writes out 2 sides of a page in r&s, and then we do as many pages as he feels like in mathematical reasoning. Usually it's about 4 pages. I have thought about adding singapore in on fridays just for word problems...

Thank you ashleysf, for those suggestions.  I hadn't even heard of Zaccaro but it certainly has possibilities.  I have LOF on a shelf, I need to get it off and start it.  And since I like the word problems of Singapore, maybe just adding their Challenging Word Problems to something else would give me the best of both worlds.

I understand that as ds gets older, the books are going to become less colorful, but I want to get him to the point where he enjoys math again first.

I failed to mention in my earlier post that this child needs things to move quickly; if things don't click right along, he loses interest fast.  I had read a review that said Mathematical Reasoning jumped from topic to topic, then spiraling back around at certain intervals to hit a topic again.  That actually sounded like a good alternative for this dc.

Any more suggestions or reviews?

A lot of what you have written makes it sound like Mathematical Reasoning might be a very good fit for your child.  Why don't you look at the online samples to try to figure out his level in it, and then give it a try and add more if you find your own child needs more?  In addition to things you have on your shelf, and or CWP, or other suggested programs above, if you do try MR, you might consider other things from Critical Thinking as supplements to it, including the Mathematical Reasoning Supplement, Math Detective, or their balance math problems books etc.

Or try what you already have first.  We love LOF--but find it a charming story--it did not especially work well as a math curriculum for my ds.

Zaccaro is probably a useful supplement for its approach--again it did not especially work well for us as a curriculum. 

But...keep in mind also that sometimes less is more.

And colorful books seem to be increasing even at the college level nowadays.