Menu

Looking for non-cutesy immune system book suggestions

corduroy

Our 3.10 year old is very interested in body systems right now, particularly in the immune system. I'm running into problems finding the right books for him on this topic, and hoping the WTM will have some ideas.

I'm noticing that books geared toward kids his age frequently lack the deeper information he really wants (ie the book will explain that viruses trick cells into making more copies of the virus, but gloss over the how), but books for slightly older kids, while they do have more information, often take the approach of turning the information into an exciting adventure story (Magic Schoolbus, Human Body Detectives), which, to his literal little brain, seems (I think) kind of confusing.

Any ideas? I've just ordered a Bill Nye book and a Read and Find Out book on this topic, but I'm looking for more. Thank you!

I don't know of any books, but there are some great youtube videos on the subject if you do a little hunting. I've gone there when the "age-appropriate" materials failed to satisfy my kids' curiosity on this very subject (and others). They don't understand it all, but I pause and "translate" the interesting parts, and the graphics are usally far better than kid book cartoons.

Oh Corduroy, I have a dd about the age of yours, with that explicit need for information and less cutesy. Don't get me wrong, she loves a good princess story at times...but when it comes to reality? The more literal the better.

There is a scientist in New Zealand, Peter Weatherall, who puts out fantastic videos and songs for learning. The one you should definitely take a look at is the one titled Human Biology, for which I am including the link. But you can also get a very, very inexpensive bundle, especially the science set, that will keep you kiddo learning for a long time.

The Human biology DVD has so much information that you could use it a supplement to HS or even entry Uni-level course...but is done well enough (a lesson, then the lesson put to a clever song) that the littles love it. My dd still asks for it several times per week and she has been watching it for over a year and a half.

Hope you like it. You can also find some of his videos on YouTube.

http://www.kidsinglish.com/video_clips/human-biology/human-biology.htm

As soon as I started reading I realized you could be describing my son. He is 3 years and 9 months. He detests the magic school bus. We watched one episode and there was too much absurdity for him.

Keri nailed it though. Peter Weatherall is the way to go! His videos are amazingly in depth and well explained. Human Body is my son's favorite. My non musically inclined son loves the songs almost as much as the explanations.

Yes.... I know that Peter Weatherall is not a book, but I haven't yet found the perfect book series yet.

Koralle, are you referring to the Weatherall youtube songs, or is there something else? I've seen you mention them before, but looking them up I've only found videos that are simplistic (baby/toddler level) or seem like they may be too complex for this age even if they're done in an engaging way (like mitosis.) I haven't looked too far into them though...How do you search on applicable videos?

Anna's Mom,

Not Korrale, but I know we bought the entire set from Peter Weatherall's website. Honestly, my dd watches all of them. Her favorite is the entire set from the Human Biology DVD.

That being said, probably what you are looking for will be on either the Simple Science DVDs. These include Simple Science, More Simple Science, and Simplest Science. Not all of his videos are on YouTube, but if you go to his website you can play samples.

On his YouTube channel I just had a look for a few in this level. It will be things like The Photosynthesis Song, The Rock Song, A Push or a Pull, The Space Song, etc.

There is also a separate (awesome!) DVD/CD for math that has kept my math-loving kiddo going. I am always amazed at what tiny children pick up from these:)

Hope that helps a bit!

Corduroy-

Glad your kiddo likes them! They have to go on every car ride with us.

Fair warning though, you will get some odd looks when your child starts explaining, in great physiological detail, body systems that your average adult doesn't know/remember! Especially when it happens to be be say, the digestive tract, in a public bathroom. Loudly. :))))

Human Biology is my son's favorite. He is only 3 but he has learnt so much from it. And yes, they do use some anatomically correct terms. Might be a good option to screen some of the clips (ahem... Digestion) if you are wary.

We go for walks and talk about the world around us and I try and explain something to him. He just rolls his eyes at me and tells me that he knows that because Peter Weatherall taught him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know of any books, but there are some great youtube videos on the subject if you do a little hunting. I've gone there when the "age-appropriate" materials failed to satisfy my kids' curiosity on this very subject (and others). They don't understand it all, but I pause and "translate" the interesting parts, and the graphics are usally far better than kid book cartoons.

There is the funky BBC series on body systems called "Once Upon a Time in the Body"  (I think).  One particular user isgota, seems to have uploaded a bunch of them to YouTube.

Discovery Streaming is also an excellent source.