Menu

UK ladies (or frequent travelers) need train help

Miss Marple

I'm trying to book my son's train trip online.  He will land at Manchester airport and take the train there to Carnforth.  I'm using the National Rail online site.  Someone told me that it was much cheaper to book online than to purchase tickets at the airport.  I noticed that Railcards are available and thought it might be a good idea to get one because they will have several breaks and weekends in which they can travel.  The Railcards are 30 pounds and offer 1/3 off standard prices.  He cannot get a Railcard delivered to him here but he can purchase one in the airport.

I cannot find information online about the cost of the trains when purchasing at a station.  I can only find the discounted online prices.  IN order to determine whether he should purchase his first trip (Manchester airport to Carnforth) online to save money I need to know where to find the costs he would incur if he were to purchase the ticket at Manchester.  Also how often are those trains booked to capacity?  Will he have trouble getting a train (11:00 am or 2:00 pm) if he doesn't have a ticket when he arrives?

Thanks!

I think it's not so much that purchasing them online is cheaper.It's purchasing them ahead that is cheaper. The prices on the day will be the standard price not the advance booking price. I'll just check the website I use and post in a moment. I don't have my computer at the moment so can't do two things at once easily.

We always fly into Manchester from US and take the 10:30ish train to Sheffield, so not the same one. The station and train are very empty at that time. Train becomes full at City Center Manchester. Empties fairly quickly thereafter. Shouldn't be a problem that time of day.

I use thetrainline.com if you put in that journey you'll see at least an off peak ticket, a peak ticket and an advance ticket. The advance tickets are often about half price but on a specific train and seat, the other two prices should be the same as what you pay on the day at the station. You might find it easier to get an advance ticket with a big discount and buy the railcard in person here. I'm pretty sure the rail card needs a photo.

OK...if he gets a railcard at the airport I assume they will take his picture there?  Or does he need an extra passport photo to take with him?  Also, what is the difference between first class and standard fare seating?  We have ridden the underground in London but that's about the only experience we have with rail in the UK.  Oh, and does the railcard work for the underground train as well?

He'll need a passport photo I think. I've never heard of a station taking the picture. First Cass is just fancier bit less crowded, nicer tables but also significantly more expensive. Off the top of my head he'd need a separate proof of age card for underground. I'll see if I can find out.

Cool!  Thanks, ladies, for all the information.  I think we have an extra passport photo around he can take with him to use for the Railcard.  Now he just has to decide if he wants to get out of the airport early or wait around to save 14 pounds.  I would prefer he just head on to the train asap.  But he is traveling with some other students who might not have the financial ability that he has.  You ladies have been a wonderful resource for me as I've worked through the details for the past semester.  Thanks again!

The only I'd add I'd that station employees always seem to be so slow in the ticket offices. If he does get that ticket and rail card it might just be useful to know that it might take quite a little bit of waiting. The pay in advance collect from the machines are massively quicker if he needs to get a certain train.

Cool!  Thanks, ladies, for all the information.  I think we have an extra passport photo around he can take with him to use for the Railcard.  Now he just has to decide if he wants to get out of the airport early or wait around to save 14 pounds.  I would prefer he just head on to the train asap.  But he is traveling with some other students who might not have the financial ability that he has.  You ladies have been a wonderful resource for me as I've worked through the details for the past semester.  Thanks again!

I think you might need two photos: one for their records and one to go on the card.  That's my memory of getting one for Calvin.

L