Menu

my child hates school

MM, WWE, and SP all eventually brought my son to tears when he was your daughter's age.  I'm certain that FLL and the McGuffy readers would have as well.  And the memory work would have bored him to death.

Frankly, I'd completely change it up.  How about RightStart math, All About Spelling, and MCT Island level?  Find library books at her level for her to read aloud.  Lose the memory work.  Have her write about what she's learning in history and science, not a lot, start with a sentence or two.

I haven't had time to read all the responses, but do you include games? You can print out blank bingo cards and turn any phonics lesson into a game. Prizes are very important! Keep a large glass jar full of little treats like chocolate kisses, etc. for when they win a game, get a hundred on a test, do well with dictation, etc. I don't give my kids candy any other time, so it really is a treat. I don't think we would have survived the last 9 years without chocolate!! If she had just one game to look forward to each day, it might make a big difference.

MM, WWE, and SP all eventually brought my son to tears when he was your daughter's age.  I'm certain that FLL and the McGuffy readers would have as well.  And the memory work would have bored him to death.

Frankly, I'd completely change it up.  How about RightStart math, All About Spelling, and MCT Island level?  Find library books at her level for her to read aloud.  Lose the memory work.  Have her write about what she's learning in history and science, not a lot, start with a sentence or two.

I agree with some of the above, but

I would not lose the memory work since your child (OP's that is) loves it.

In fact, since many people seem to assume that is a hated part of her schooling, maybe on that aspect we should be asking and learning from you LittlePinkMitten: How you do the memory work so that she loves it?

I agree with some of the above, but

I would not lose the memory work since your child (OP's that is) loves it.

Sorry--I must have missed the loving it thing.  By all means, if your child loves the memory work, that is an excellent reason to keep it!