Menu

Anyone know a good place to visit in the Adirondacks?

praisefor3

I have to go to Utica, NY for a couple days. We are thinking that my DH will fly up to meet me for the weekend. It is so rare for the two of us to get away without the kids but...we are thinking of it. We have been to Niagara and NYC but never spent time in the Adirondacks. We love mountains, walking, etc. Does anyone know of a cottage/lodge/hotel that would be a great place for a couple to stay?

Old Forge is a pretty town.

http://www.oldforgeny.com/

They have a town row of antique shops and restaurants to visit. It's not too far of a drive from Utica, and has main roads to travel on. I grew up in a tiny town just outside of Rome, NY (the next town over from Utica) - we had a summer home on north Lake in the Adirandacks. The Adirandack mountains are one of the most beautiful places to be in the fall!

Well I grew up there, how far north do you want to go?

Lake Placid and Saranac Lake are beautiful. They both have plenty of lodges, hotels etc.  If I wanted a real Adirondack experience that is where I would go.

Have fun in Utica. My mom grew up there and I spent a lot of time there as a kid/teen (even went to first grade there) and it is such a dying town. It boomed in the days of the Erie Canal, but has been getting smaller ever since. I haven't been there in years. I think the last time was when my uncle was Grand Marshall of the St Patrick's day parade. They have a nice zoo, or at least they did.

Two years ago we stayed here in a balcony room and absolutely loved it:

http://www.saranaclakeinn.com/

They have free unlimited use of canoes/kayaks/paddleboats on the lake they are on.  We also walked to restaurants - canoed to ice cream...

There is hiking all around and it's a short jaunt to Lake Placid if you want to see any of the Olympic training areas.

I don't think I'd recommend their basic rooms as the highway noise might be a bit much, but the balcony rooms overlook the water at the edge.

I grew up near Watertown, NY. We used to go on ong Sunday drives into the Adirondacks.  One which I remember as being fun as a child was visiting the Blue Mountain Lake area, specifically the Adirondack Museum.  Any of the lakes were magnificent, especially for hiking, then taking the time sit in the evenings and listen to the loons calling. I miss that...

I grew up near Watertown, NY. We used to go on long Sunday drives into the Adirondacks.  One which I remember as being fun as a child was visiting the Blue Mountain Lake area, specifically the Adirondack Museum.  Any of the lakes were magnificent, especially for hiking, then taking the time to sit in the evenings and listen to the loons calling. I miss that...

I grew up near Watertown, NY. We used to go on ong Sunday drives into the Adirondacks.  One which I remember as being fun as a child was visiting the Blue Mountain Lake area, specifically the Adirondack Museum.  Any of the lakes were magnificent, especially for hiking, then taking the time sit in the evenings and listen to the loons calling. I miss that...

This is my favorite area, too!  We've been the Blue Mtn Lake many, many times.  It's further north than Old Forge but less touristy and so lovely.  There are a couple places to stay right on the lake.  Try thehedges.com or hemlockhall.com.  The Adirondack Museum is right up the road and is a fun place to visit.