Menu

Do you combine Spelling, Grammar and Writing

GreenKitty

or use separate programs for each? I have been using separate curriculums for each one. Though I am looking for something available for Grammar and Spelling combined? This is for 1st grade. I am thining that the one with all three combined is LLATL, and I'm not interested in that.

What I'm going to try this year is paring my English down to just the progymnasmata with Winston Grammar. I'll use my daughter's fable rewrite to pick out words she needs practice with in spelling, vocabulary and also to edit for punctuation (I'll use Everyday Editing to help with occasional punctuation lessons). We'll also select sentences to parse from the weekly reading. For the Fall I'm just reviewing what we did last spring with Winston Grammar so we won't even be using it (aside from the hint cards) until later.

This is just my opinion: I use narration, copywork, and dictation to cover those aspects of Language Arts. However, it is a slower process. They will not be great spellers, writers, or grammarians right away.

Also, in my opinion, at 1st grade, spelling is grammar and writing. A lot of the spelling programs that I used on my children in 1st grade was just copying a list of words that had a common phonic sound (voila! your copywork). Then we learned spelling rules like change the "y" to an "i" and add "es." Like penny to pennies. So, isn't that grammar?

I personally think that in teaching a child about plurals, you can teach nouns (only nouns are singular and plural). In teaching suffix ending,you can teach adjectives for -er or -est ending or adverbs for -ly endings or verbs for -ing endings.

The above is just my opinion on those subjects. Yes, you can intertwine them because they are so connected. I follow a more Charlotte Mason approach on the Language Arts, but Well Trained Mind has a great approach too.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony:auto: