Menu

(Just for fun) Acreage for hroses?

Honestly, then I know nil about horses. I guess it's a childhood dream of mine and now I have one horse-crazy dd and two other horse-lovers as well.

Dh said that if we had the space after we move that he'd consider it so I am beginning to day-dream and am re-visiting the thought of even learning riding myself. Sounds lame, but is a pretty wild move for me!!

Dreaming?

About ten thousand acres of beautiful countryside, canyons, and hills. :D Gotta have a place to ride after all.

In her last years, I kept my mare on an acre behind our house. We were obsessed about managing our 'pasture' and her health. She was an old girl and needed little exercise. My younger son rode her around the neighborhood so she could stretch her legs. We jokingly called our backyard the horsey nursing home....but we LOVED having her close by.

Realistically, I think five well managed acres, part of which you can water, would be minimum for two horses. You can do it on three, but you have to watch that they don't beat all the grass into the dirt.

In our area, zoning is a minimum of 2 1/2 acres for 2 horses but zoning can vary.

A great deal depends on your local weather. Here, we have to feed hay only from Oct/Nov. until March/April and also some hay in the summer. If you live in a warmer climate and can manage your pastures very well you might not have to feed as much hay.

I would say GO FOR IT--learn to ride as an adult. I rode about 3 times as a child but always LOVED horses. My girls started taking lessons with a family from church which lead to them getting a pony which lead to me getting a horse a few months later. I LOVE it. I am taking lessons 1-2 times a week and learning so much.

Yes, I really did.

I bought my first horse 1 1/2 years ago. I had him for just over a year but he had some back problems and bucked me off twice due to pain. He also was not really a beginner horse.

In late Feb. I bought Spy. He is a 15 year old gelding and WONDERFUL. He has some issues in his stall but is a steady eddy on the trails.

I have gone from being nervous just being led around on him to loping down the trails, leading the way, blazing our way through the woods, etc.

My girls have a 16hh 30 year old gelding (very old for a horse) that still has a lot of go to him. We enjoy little trail rides, working in the arena, taking lessons, etc. My girls both have special needs so I am extra cautious with them.

We board our horses with a friend of mine. It is really nice having someone experienced there to help me out as I am learning. We also take weekly and sometimes twice a week lessons.

You CAN do this as an adult. I would just suggest looking for an older, been there, done that horse (I like geldings the best) who is trained to do the type of riding you want to do--show, trail,etc. Buddy up with a few good horse people so that you can learn from them and call for advice. Then plan on lessons for you and the kids.

This is SO not what I was growing up---I was the book worm, never outside, didn't get dirty, etc. Now I muck out stalls, am dirty quite a bit, have a real farmer's tan, etc.

Lots of riders begin as adults. You could too.

I've had horses now for 42 years. That makes me really old.

Here on the ranch next to the house we have a fenced in pasture of about eight acres, where I keep the horses that I'm riding at the time. Anywhere from six to fourteen. But I move them all around, sometimes even just chunking them out with the cattle when I'm not using them. At the farmhouse there's a smaller pasture, maybe six acres that I sometimes put them in. I hate for them to have the run of the ranch, because then they're hard to find when I want them.

Aside from zoning considerations, which I don't have to deal with and don't know about, it depends on what type of grass you've got growing there too. And they will stomp it into nothing. Some folks will divide their pastures in two, so that one can grow while the other is being grazed. And you don't want just one horse, they need at least a goat for company.

And you have to be extra diligent about worming them when they are in a small pasture.