Menu

Waldorf-inspired Math Gnomes

KristenR

First off, Waldorf never captured my attention on a whole.  BUT I do really like the math gnomes used to introduces the different mathematical processes (addition, subtraction, division,and multiplication)  

I'm searching around on the web and I AM finding some info but I was wondering if anyhow has come across a "tutorial" of sorts that gives a synopsis of the story, and explains the colors and "decor" of each gnome.  I'd rather not waste my whole morning sifting through the various things I am finding and was wondering if someone on here has done it- or at least found a comprehensive post describing it.

I'd be very appreciative if anyone can lead me to a good one!!

First off, Waldorf never captured my attention on a whole.  BUT I do really like the math gnomes used to introduces the different mathematical processes (addition, subtraction, division,and multiplication)  

I'm searching around on the web and I AM finding some info but I was wondering if anyhow has come across a "tutorial" of sorts that gives a synopsis of the story, and explains the colors and "decor" of each gnome.  I'd rather not waste my whole morning sifting through the various things I am finding and was wondering if someone on here has done it- or at least found a comprehensive post describing it.

http://goldenzone.org/birds/?p=10

week 1, weeks 2 & 3 are the bottom of the blog article.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/761876/looking-for-math-gnome-stories-waldorf-inspired

explanation of gnome "temperments" and associated color, or "humour"

http://www.elizabethfoss.com/photos/gnomes_gnumbers_/index.html

sample lessons

http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Elementary-Grades-Dorothy-Harrar/dp/1888365498/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378663436&sr=8-1&keywords=dorothy+harrer

waldorf math lessons or elementary grades

You do not need to do "gnomes" incidentally:  

You could do math fairies or squirrels or knights or other such, depending on the child.

Do your children learn math well that way?

My ds came out of first grade at a b&m Waldorf strong on the stories, but knowing basically no math...despite being good at math.

In fact it left him with whacky ideas like that multiplication is doubling and only doubling, and division is halving and only halving because that is all that happened in the stories he heard. 

I ended up feeling that it is very sweet and appealing, but not very effective for learning mathematics...and that it involved a lot of work on the teacher's part that might have been better spent doing something else (at least in terms of math--not if the goal was something to do with anthroposophy, which may have been the case).

You do not need to do "gnomes" incidentally:  

You could do math fairies or squirrels or knights or other such, depending on the child.

Do your children learn math well that way?

My ds came out of first grade at a b&m Waldorf strong on the stories, but knowing basically no math...despite being good at math.

In fact it left him with whacky ideas like that multiplication is doubling and only doubling, and division is halving and only halving because that is all that happened in the stories he heard. 

I ended up feeling that it is very sweet and appealing, but not very effective for learning mathematics...and that it involved a lot of work on the teacher's part that might have been better spent doing something else (at least in terms of math--not if the goal was something to do with anthroposophy, which may have been the case).

Interesting take.  I admit, I haven't looked into it too much at this point because there is not much about Waldorf that appeals to me personally.  

The gnomes were just something I stumbled upon on Pinterest that I've been meaning to look into more.  I am adhering pretty closely to a classical approach but I do like adding in things that pique our interest.  I like the idea of the gnomes but I wouldn't rely solely on them.  We are already using Singapore and Miquon.  This would be for a purely fun extra.  I wouldn't be getting into the whole spirit of Waldorf-- just taking this idea-- morphing it a bit and running with it.  We wouldn't be missing any of our regular math lessons...