Menu

Books we are surprised we read

I was into fantasy so I didn't read a lot of the books being mentioned here like Flowers in the Attic or the horror stuff.  For the most part I wanted to read anything involving wizards and dragons and those tend to be quite tame.  

I did read two books that I literally threw with disgust - The Mists of Avalon and Firebrand, both by Marion Zimmer Bradley.  I'm not saying that these books are bad, but the incest, rape, and pedophilia was too much for my 13/14 self to handle. The imagery my mind conjured while reading the scene of child rape and murder in Firebrand stayed with me for a long time.  Considering my mother had read these books, I'm surprised she didn't bat an eye when I picked them up.

Yeah, I read Mists of Avalon at a ridiculously young age too.  Totally colored my feelings about the Arthur story forever . . . 

The most explicit book I read as a preadolescent was actually the best - I somehow got ahold of a copy of Sex: A Users Manual - I think some kid had gotten it from an older sibling and was afraid they'd be busted with it, so they gave it to me.  Anyway, I read it avidly and examined all the pictures with great interest.  Turns out it equipped me with something useful - accurate information.  I was able to debunk many of the urban legends/mistaken ideas floating around with my agemates.  In fact, I became somewhat of the class expert on the subject - purely theoretical knowledge, of course!  ;)

The most explicit book I read as a preadolescent was actually the best - I somehow got ahold of a copy of Sex: A Users Manual - I think some kid had gotten it from an older sibling and was afraid they'd be busted with it, so they gave it to me.  Anyway, I read it avidly and examined all the pictures with great interest.  Turns out it equipped me with something useful - accurate information.  I was able to debunk many of the urban legends/mistaken ideas floating around with my agemates.  In fact, I became somewhat of the class expert on the subject - purely theoretical knowledge, of course!  ;)

I admit that I have thought of purposely getting my kids a non-fiction book about sex.

ETA: When they are older.

Read way too many of the V.C. Andrews books (Flowers in the Attic, etc.)

Too much Stephen King.

My mom's Judith Krantz books were pretty darn explicit too!

And yes, the Clan of the Cave Bear series (though I still like those books, beyond/despite all the s-x scenes :blushing: )

And too much Danielle Steel. Those books honestly are just carp.

I actually liked all the Marion Zimmer Bradley books (Mists of Avalon, etc.), and Diana Paxson, who wrote in a similar vein.

Read way too many of the V.C. Andrews books (Flowers in the Attic, etc.)

Too much Stephen King.

My mom's Judith Krantz books were pretty darn explicit too!

And yes, the Clan of the Cave Bear series (though I still like those books, beyond/despite all the s-x scenes :blushing: )

And too much Danielle Steel. Those books honestly are just carp.

I actually liked all the Marion Zimmer Bradley books (Mists of Avalon, etc.), and Diana Paxson, who wrote in a similar vein.

Oh, I liked Mists of Avalon!  I just can't retell the story to my kids in the traditional way now - my version always has a feminist slant!  ;)

I also loved Mary Stewart's take on the Arthur story - from Merlin's point of view.  The Crystal Cave et. al.  Though I don't recall it being explicit or anything, so I guess I have strayed outside the topic area of this thread!  :D

Don't give it to them.   Just buy it and stick it on the bookshelf.  That way they can read it when they are curious, without the "Ick, Mom knows I am reading this"

One day soon I'll have to reorganize my bookshelf. I have some books by Piers Anthony that need to be put away. I don't mean his compatively tame Xanth series.