Menu

Please tell me I'm over reacting... Or not... Help!

Guest ElleIbanez

Guest ElleIbanez

My 4yo DS attends a private learning center part time (NAEYC accredited) and has been for going on two years now. He just started PreK in August. They do everything a traditional school does in PreK... The kids graduate, they learn all the necessary skills to advance to K, etc. My problem is that I was told today that there are now three 3yo's in his class, two of which are still in diapers. The learning center is "trying something new" by placing these children in this class so they are in it for two years instead of one. (All children at the center matriculate annually like real school.)My issue is that now instead of his teachers focusing on a classroom of children with relatively the same skills to now having to change diapers and "dumb things down" for the litte ones. My son used to come home with stories full of awesome stuff he did (letters, numbers, phonics, games, etc) and now all he says he does is "art". I'm really upset. The tuition isn't cheap and I'm debating pulling him out. I dont like paying what we pay for him to glue beads to construction paper every morning. Am I over reacting or should I just ride it out?? Should I talk to the director about it or is it even worth it?

I would definitely make your concerns heard by the people in charge of the center. Specific examples of issues you have with the program, ask for details of how the teachers will be able to make sure all age and ability levels are catered to. I would try not to get too emotional about it but let them know you are very disappointed with the changes you've seen. Parent feedback *should* be part of what they're looking for with a trial program like this, and if it's not I would be very upset in your situation.

Yep, I'd talk to them about it, mention the difference with your child, and your concerns about the time. Maybe you could ask to sit in for a day to see what actually goes on now? I would be very upset myself. If the 3yo were doing 4yo level work (i.e. accelerated) it would be a different matter, but it sounds like they are not on the same level, but rather dragging the standard down. 

Going to go against the grain here a bit...My daughter is going to be starting in a multi-age preschool next week, ages 2.5 to 5. (She's 3.5.) It's actually supposed to be a great experience, where the older kids learn to help the younger kids and so learn themselves by teaching. My mindset has always been that academics aren't as important at this age as social skills, as long as they learn the basics (letter sounds/beginning to form letters/counting to 30) by K. There hasn't been any research showing more than that is advantageous in later years. 

She's going to a non-academic Reggio-based preschool, so all the learning is through imaginary play, nature study, art and music, which again I think is most important at this age, and it means the age difference isn't as important. (She'll only be going 3 mornings a week, so I can do some basic academics at home, but don't really plan to do much since she's been reading CVC and CVCC words and doing basic math, so I'm not concerned with her readiness for K.) In the end (IMO) I think the benefits of a multi-age classroom far outweigh the minuses. So this wouldn't bother me personally (but I can understand being upset since you wanted something different when you first signed him up for the school.)

Maybe they are going for a Montessori model where classes are made of 3-6 year olds? Many kids thrive in that kind of Enviroment. Is it possible that the lower work is just review for the new school year?

I do understand your consternation though and I would certainly have chat with her teachers.

Maybe they are going for a Montessori model where classes are made of 3-6 year olds? Many kids thrive in that kind of Enviroment. Is it possible that the lower work is just review for the new school year?

I do understand your consternation though and I would certainly have chat with her teachers.

Perhaps... but that isn't what she signed up for (or is paying tuition for).

I think that you should talk to the teachers/administrators to try and get a better idea of what they are planning/hoping for by this change. Continue to ask your son (and his teacher) about their daily/weekly activities. Tell the school that you're worried because your son doesn't seem to be learning as much/retaining as much as he did before since he used to come home with stories of activities, lessons, games, etc but now he doesn't and you'd like to work with him at home to supplement his education. This way you can get an idea of where each week/term is going and you can measure at the end of the week whether or not your son learned anything.

Maybe try refraining your questions to your son. He could be going through a phase where he is a little less verbal about some things. Does he seem less expressive in any other way? Before maybe he'd recount a story but now he'll just say it was about "a girl" or any thing else like that. A couple of my younger brothers were like that. Very, very, very chatty and then they mellowed out verbally a lot and then they exploded in verbal skills again using complex sentences and excellent grammar.

I don't know how long he's there each day or if he goes each day, or whatever. If you have already paid for the first term, and can NOT get a refund, I would try and wait it out. Ask you son specific questions

"What did you read today at circle time?"
"What did you learn about at math-centers"

"What did you do before art?"

"What did you guys do after art"

"What was your favorite part of today?"

Ask the teacher at the beginning of each week: "What will you all be covering this week?" and then prompt your son to give you specifics. If in 2 weeks you are still seeing no improvement, I would let them know that you are considering requesting your son be moved from his current classroom to one that is more engaging or else you will consider removing him from the school entirely.