Menu

About to buy Lightning Literature, one last question

I've been reading all the literature threads, trying to find a good program for my 9th grader, who is a little below grade level. It seems like Lightening Literature 8, would be a good fit for him. DO i need another writing program? I was planning to have him do, "Jump In". I just don't want to overwhelm him. Is LL enough for Writing and Literature?

I've been reading all the literature threads, trying to find a good program for my 9th grader, who is a little below grade level. It seems like Lightening Literature 8, would be a good fit for him. DO i need another writing program? I was planning to have him do, "Jump In". I just don't want to overwhelm him. Is LL enough for Writing and Literature?

LL8 and Jump In is exactly the combo I did with my DS for 9th grade, and it was fine.

Yes, you will want a separate writing program. No it is not hard to do both. And definitely NOT overwhelming (and my DS has mild LDs in the writing area).

For writing, LL only has a very short (1-page) mini-writing lesson at the end of each of the 12 units for the year. Topics are things like: how to re-word in your own words; importance of a "hook" in the introductory paragraph to capture audience interest; etc.) Then, there is a choice of about 4 writing assignments to choose from at the end of each unit. On the weeks we did one of those assignments, we just set aside the other writing program. We did NOT do a writing assignment at the end of every LL unit.

BEST of luck, whatever you decide to go with! Warmly, Lori D.

LL will include enough writing assignments. 12 chapters, each with a writing assignment. Most chapters have choices between creative (write a story or poem) and academic options (research or essay). When discussing the novels, the comprehension questions on the student book are pretty superficial. Be sure to look in the teachers manual for meatier discussion questions. These can also be used as paper topics if needed. The only concern is whether there is enough teaching. It has grammar and usage review and covers outlining and types of essays, but depending on how far back he is, you may want more instruction on some topics. If so, teach the material from the supplemental program, but apply the concepts to papers from one program or the other rather than doubling up.

In my opinion, you will want a separate writing program in addition to LL.  We've used LL8 with Jump In.  LL does not teach writing; it just gives writing assignments. My DDs still needed writing instruction.  If the amount of writing seems overwhelming, let the student skip the writing program on the days they are writing for LL.

I think that is a great combination. You won't ever have to eliminate the LL writing. Just let him choose the assignments. There are always short easy choices. I think LL8 is a great fit for a 9th grader needing a gentle intro and Jump In was my kids favorite year of writing ever. I hope they are both very successful for you ds!