Menu

We don't like Hake Grammar

readinmom

Sorry to hear your DD isn't liking it.  Just curious, since you say you want something with a "more focused approach", is it the amount of review in each lesson what your DD doesn't like?  (Because it is a ton of review, as written.)  If so, maybe you could try reducing the number of review questions your DD has to complete, if you haven't done that already.  Where we finally landed is that my DS usually does every third review question (was doing every other question, but that was still more than necessary) in each lesson and that's been plenty of review for him.  I also let him write in the book instead of writing on a separate piece of paper.  I really like the way Hake presents the new concepts in each lesson and using it this modified way with less assigned review is going well for us.  I also like that each review question includes a reference to the lesson in which it was taught, so its easy to flip back if something needs to be refreshed.

Rod & Staff is what SWB recommends, but we need something secular.  If we weren't using Hake, I'd be looking at Analytical Grammar or go back to Easy Grammar.  (We stopped doing Easy Grammar in 4th grade only because it doesn't teach diagramming and DS needed more frequent review, but I think its a great program too.)  HTH.

R&S would be a good choice for focused work (I'm assuming she doesn't like the spiral). You'll have a chapter on nouns, then learn multiple lessons in sequential order about nouns. There is constant review, but it's usually less than half the lesson.

I only assign about half the exercises.

We liked the idea, but hated the curriculum.  Sorry to hear it didn't work for you either.  We went to Growing with Grammar/Soaring with Spelling/Winning with Writing.  Winning with Writing was not what I would have hoped for but Growing with Grammar was as painless as could be, and we did well with it.

Bob Jones {can be done without the expensive TM if you do not mind not having an answer key.}

Voyages in English

Exercises in English {grammar only portion of Voyages in workbook format}

ABeka

Rod and Staff {My kids all detest R&S because it is so over the top religious in nature. It is a real distraction for them.}

Growing with Grammar {though my two olders used levels 3-6 with zero retention. It is too easy to just plug and forget. If you teach the lesson, it might work better.}

Easy Grammar {the preposition first approach was not a fit for my guys.}

Winston Grammar {you will need a separate resource for punctuation}

Shurley Grammar {bit of a learning curve for you to teach}

Jr. Analytical Grammar/Analytical Grammar

I'd also say JAG, because it focusses on one part of speech per lesson.

If you want a similar, but cheaper option, look at Steps To Good Grammar from walch.com. I think it covers slightly more than JAG and has diagramming.

• 2 weeks later...