Menu

Linda Silverman

jenbrdsly

We used the GDC for some testing several years ago.  Silverman is the author of Upside Down Brilliance, one of my favorite books regarding learning.

She has another book out but the audience and topic are different.

She might be interesting but I have to wonder whether she'd be preaching to the choir, i.e., not telling you anything you haven't read elsewhere already.

Calvin was tested at the GDC and we had a conference with her.  She was interesting and informative but.....

.... they were using the old Stanford-Binet at the time (I don't know about now) and it put Calvin into a category of giftedness that - from subsequent development - was too high by one notch.  That lead us to a whole set of worries which were not actually relevant.

I also thought her statistical thinking was a bit off.  She said that Hobbes would undoubtedly be within a few points of Calvin's IQ, based on the families that come in to her.  But she wasn't controlling for families where the 'less bright' child was not brought in for (expensive) testing.  We've not had Hobbes tested, but I suspect he's not far off her assumption, however.

So: I suspect that she would be a very good speaker, but perhaps is someone whose enthusiasm for the subject runs away with her sometimes.

L

She did our testing, and I've also been to one of her presentations.  Both were extremely informative!  She's a good speaker (funny, not dry), and while some of what she said was what I'd heard in other speakers' presentations (because I've seen several), some of it was new to me.  She knows a lot about giftedness, and although she understands that 2E kids have issues that often mask giftedness, she isn't as familiar with many of the specific 2E issues as I'd hoped during our evaluation process.  For giftedness, especially in the highest ranges, she's wonderful, though.  I definitely recommend going to listen to her.  If you have any specific issues with a 2E situation, look for another type of psychologist/doctor/whatever who deals with that issue. 

Oh, and for testing, she uses primarily the WISC/WPPSI (depending on age) with the SB as an optional test for those who want additional testing after getting very high scores on WISC.  She uses WJ for achievement.

If Linda Silverman were speaking in my area, I'd definitely make every effort to go.  She has been a tireless advocate for gifted children and understands the 2E experience better than most professionals out there.  When my older son was 8yo we did a telephone consult with Bobbie Gilman of the GDC and it was the turning point in our understanding of him.  (I will be forever grateful that the GDC offered that service and that they took the crazy mother (me) seriously when I told them that I thought that my son with the FSIQ of less than 100 was actually gifted.)

That said, she has been criticized for using the outdated SB-LM as well as for her ideas about "indigo children."  Some people contend that the GDC is the place to go if you want to buy a high IQ score for your child.  In addition there was an issue some years back that you can read about here and here

ETA:  I just realized that your area is my area! 

If Linda Silverman were speaking in my area, I'd definitely make every effort to go.  She has been a tireless advocate for gifted children and understands the 2E experience better than most professionals out there.  When my older son was 8yo we did a telephone consult with Bobbie Gilman of the GDC and it was the turning point in our understanding of him.  (I will be forever grateful that the GDC offered that service and that they took the crazy mother (me) seriously when I told them that I thought that my son with the FSIQ of less than 100 was actually gifted.)

That said, she has been criticized for using the outdated SB-LM as well as for her ideas about "indigo children."  Some people contend that the GDC is the place to go if you want to buy a high IQ score for your child.  In addition there was an issue some years back that you can read about here and here

ETA:  I just realized that your area is my area! 

Kai, I'll PM you.  Thanks for the insight.