Menu

Blood pressure ? during pregnancy

A home for their hearts

I have about a month left until my due date.  My blood pressure has been pretty good during my pregnancy and I've never had any trouble with high blood pressure.  My blood pressure usually runs on the lower end of normal, usually in the 120's/70's.  At my last OB appt. on Friday my blood pressure was 138/88, I've had the lower number be high but I don't think the top number has ever been that high.  I was really hot and sweaty and my feet were slightly swollen.  My OB said my blood pressure wasn't considered high, she said high would be over 140/90.  She didn't seem concerned at all about it.  In my previous pregnancy my doctor, different from the one I'm seeing now, sent me to the hospital when my blood pressure was 124/94 to rule out pre-eclampsia because although it wasn't really consider high blood pressure it was high for me for what mine had been running.  It's amazing to me how opinions among doctors can vary so wildly. 

I also have been diagnosed with Tachycardia and am taking a low dose of metoprolol so I would think if my blood pressure is higher than normal it would be worth looking into.  But, my doctor wasn't concerned about it. 

So, I'm curious, if you had high blood pressure during pregnancy, what was considered high?

I can't advise re: what's normal, but to get an accurate BP reading you need to sit down for a while (at least ten minutes), and then take a reading while still sitting. If you'd just walked into the office and were hot, you might have had an artificially high reading, and that might have been what your OB was thinking (but if so, should have expressed to you). If you're concerned, try the above and see what you get. If you're still concerned after that, bring it up with your OB.

Incidentally, both times I was pregnant, my BP started to rise slowly but steadily. I followed the protein recommendations of Dr. Brewer, and it dropped like a stone to my normal of 100/60, and stayed there. 

I can't advise re: what's normal, but to get an accurate BP reading you need to sit down for a while (at least ten minutes), and then take a reading while still sitting. If you'd just walked into the office and were hot, you might have had an artificially high reading, and that might have been what your OB was thinking (but if so, should have expressed to you). If you're concerned, try the above and see what you get. If you're still concerned after that, bring it up with your OB.

Incidentally, both times I was pregnant, my BP started to rise slowly but steadily. I followed the protein recommendations of Dr. Brewer, and it dropped like a stone to my normal of 100/60, and stayed there. 

I had been sitting in the waiting room for probably 20 minutes before they called me back, which is normal.  I took the short walk back to the exam room where my blood pressure was taken, which is always the case.  It was 138/88.  I waited probably another 20 minutes in the exam room for the doctor to come in during the time I was waiting I started feeling really hot, and sweaty.  The doctor knew how long I had been waiting and apologized for it.  I guess I should have ask for her to retake my blood pressure.  I'll remember that next time. 

A one-time BP test isn't really a good indicator. If you're concerned, you should start taking your own blood pressure at home. Do it at the same time everyday after sitting down for ten or fiteen minutes. A week's worth of results should give you a much clearer picture of what's going on!

I had some similar issues with my pregnancies. The point where they started to monitor it more closely (but not to freak-out level yet) was when it was over 140/90. For peace of mind I purchased a blood pressure cuff at Walgreen's to have at home and check my pressure once or twice a day (same time during the day, same place, same posture, etc.) so I knew what my typical numbers were, unaffected by traveling, being at the dr.'s office, and waiting. I recorded numbers and brought them to my appointments so they could see if there was a trend that was inching up. This could help you make a case to them for checking into it more closely. If numbers were high at the start of an appointment, my OB would usually wait until the end of the appointment and re-do. Are they checking for protein in your urine regularly at appointments? 

I also tried to be mindful during the day of taking a break and doing some deep belly breathing.

Erica in OR

Ditto on what everyone else said.

Also, if you are a bit "fluffy" aka plus size, make sure they use the correct size cuff - if they use one that is too small it will cause a false high reading. Went round & round getting sent to the OB ER when I was pg because my BP would read high when it acutally wasn't. http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/lgbpcuffs.htm

I'd like to add that there are other signs that go with high BP in pregnancy that make it more serious. If you get sudden swelling of your face or hands (not really so much your legs/feet), have a severe headache and are having vision problems then you would need to be seen right away. One time borderline BP isn't really a concern. Check out the Brewer diet of the previous poster. Drink plenty of water and eat lots of protein.

I can't really advise, but would like to second the opinion on asking for them to re-check. After my last baby was born a young nurse came in and took my.BP, it was outrageously high. She wasn't concerned (I'd just had a baby after all!) I asked her to get the head nurse, she checked it and it was my normal. had the first nurse been correct, I would have needed a doctor asap.

I'd ask for a second reading if it was that high again. Good luck!

Taking into consideration the other stuff you mentioned, one bp reading like, outside of other symptoms (protein in your urine, edema above your waist, sudden weight gain, etc.) is not reason for worry.  

Bp alone is not an indication for a diagnosis of preeclampsia.   

As far as what is considered "high", it can depend on a woman's normal bp.  Some women have low bp and some run higher.  As far as when it becomes something that warrants really keeping an eye on for pree, is what  your doctor told you, 140/90.  

Eating more protein is fine (you should be getting 70-90g a day anyway) but women who are going to become preeclamptic (and in your case there is no indication based on the info you posted here, that you are one of those women) are not going to be able to "cure" it with consuming more protein.  Current research is leaning towards the issue being related to the placenta and it's development in regards to the spiral arteries.  The only cure for pree is delivery of the baby and placenta. 

Thanks everyone for you advice and reassurance.  I think it surprised me that she wasn't concerned because I had a previous doctor be concerned over a lower rate.  I did gain 3lbs in 6 days, I'm not sure if that is cause for concern.  The nurse said it was probably water weight.  I am overweight so I'll make sure to pay attention to what size cuff they are using.  I'm pretty sure the reading was acurate though since I was feeling so hot.  I've heard that the wrist cuff aren't as accurate.  They have been checking for protein in my urine, so far I haven't had any.

If you've just had one instance of a quick gain, I wouldn't be concerned at all.   Could be water, baby could have had a growth spurt, etc.   If it keeps happening like that, I'd take a second look.  

They have been checking for protein in my urine, so far I haven't had any.

One thing you should make sure to do (and you might already be doing it), is make sure they are clean catches.  Sometimes protein will show up at the end of pregnancy and it's simply from va*ginal secretions.  

And usually with the edema, in a pree woman it's in the face, not so much the legs.  Having some swelling in the legs with some pitting is absolutely normal.  But a woman with true pree has a really strange look to her face (like I said in my previous post...swelling from waist up is usually a good indicator that something is amiss).  It's puffier than normal, red cheeks, skin is almost tough/leathery.  It's really odd.  

So, again, from what you have said in your posts, there is no indication that you are showing any signs of being preeclamptic.  

If you've just had one instance of a quick gain, I wouldn't be concerned at all.   Could be water, baby could have had a growth spurt, etc.   If it keeps happening like that, I'd take a second look.  

One thing you should make sure to do (and you might already be doing it), is make sure they are clean catches.  Sometimes protein will show up at the end of pregnancy and it's simply from va*ginal secretions.  

And usually with the edema, in a pree woman it's in the face, not so much the legs.  Having some swelling in the legs with some pitting is absolutely normal.  But a woman with true pree has a really strange look to her face (like I said in my previous post...swelling from waist up is usually a good indicator that something is amiss).  It's puffier than normal, red cheeks, skin is almost tough/leathery.  It's really odd.  

So, again, from what you have said in your posts, there is no indication that you are showing any signs of being preeclamptic.  

Why is it my second ob didn't seem to know that?! I told her I thought I was swelling in my face (with a history of HELLPs with my first) and she just brushed it off and ignored me at an appointment the day before I collapsed and had to go to the hospital with severe preeclampsia. :glare: (I also had high blood pressure at that appointment.)

OP, with my history of preeclampsia for this third pregnancy they wanted me on bed rest near the end when it was creeping up to the 130/100's and to go in if it stayed at 140 for several hours. If you can bring it down with water and rest, then don't freak out about it. If you're doing that and things to relax (I watched videos that made me laugh and What To Expect When You're Expecting on Netflix instant) and it goes down then you're not in danger; just keep a calm eye on it. I got an arm monitor (not a wrist cuff) when I got my positive test because I knew it was something I was going to have to keep an eye on.

Based on the one reading, your BP seems to be increasing and it seems you are retaining more water with the weight increase. The water retention adds to the elevated BP. I've had pre-eclampsia twice. I've only retained a lot of water (all over - legs, face, etc.) with those two pregnancies. The trouble with BP is that it can spike up without a moment's notice. The other thing is that doctors tend to brush it off. So if you feel that you are retaining more and more water, please go in and check your BP.

Please, please if you have any concerns, do not hesitate to contact your doctor and go to the ER. The symptoms  are different for different people. Water retention may not be a pre-eclampsia symptom in of itself, but having dealt with it twice, it elevates the BP. And keep in mind if you get a reading of 100 or more in the bottom number, you should go to the ER.