Menu

I'm questioning Singapore again! Help!

Both kids are doing Singapore and they both really like it. I thought we were set. We are using the US edition, as that's what MFW & HOD both recommend, and we've used both of those programs over the last few years. DS is getting ready to start 3A (we have the US edition) and it seems like recently I've come across a couple threads that talk about the US edition not covering all the topics that Standards does, and people needing to supplement. When I researched it more, it seems that people were suggesting the Standards edition more than the US. So, now I'm contemplating buying the Standards edition, but then is that about to change to align with CC? (I'm thinking about my dd coming up and then having to buy another new set of Textbooks/HIGs) I am not confident enough in math to know if we were missing something, and I am just flustered on what to do. I really don't want to miss things. I have heard negative numbers, probability/statistics, and I don't know what else. I also want to be mindful of our budget, though!

FWIW, I was only thinking of doing Singapore through 6A/6B, so we would need to be preparing to go into another Pre-Alg/Alg program.

ETA: I just pushed "buy" on the 3A Standards Edition :o per dh. I'd still be curious what others have to say, though.

If you check http://singaporemath.com, it lists everything that is in Standards but not in US.

Honestly, I wouldn't get worked up over the negative numbers. Standards spends very little time on the subject and it's a pretty easy subject to teach on your own. I mentioned in the other thread that I taught my son at age 5 on a napkin... I've actually taught both my oldest two kids at age 5, and they remembered it with little practice. Just the other day, my 6 year old wrote 2-1-1-1 on the board, then said it was -2. This is a kid who is still having trouble remembering which coin is which, bit he remembered negative numbers, which we haven't even talked about in months.

I don't think Singapore even got into multiplication/division of negative numbers by grade 5, but maybe it's in 6 somewhere... Prealgebra covers it well.

Many homeschoolers have used the US edition and done great in higher math. Several even went straight from 6B to algebra. So clearly the lack of negative numbers and other such things wasn't a big deal. :)

If you did want to switch, I'd just do Standards for 4A on up, and keep using US for 1A-3B. I believe most of the extra topics are in grades 4 and 5.

I have heard negative numbers, probability/statistics, and I don't know what else. I also want to be mindful of our budget, though!

The table at question 18 on the below link list the difference. The scope and sequence link is in that question too.

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm

Exponents is not covered in the US edition if I don't remember wrongly. My younger went from SM 5B standards to PreAlgebra without problem. Older went from SM 6B to PreAlgebra. We used standards edition as it ties in closely to California's standard.

So, now I'm contemplating buying the Standards edition, but then is that about to change to align with CC? (I'm thinking about my dd coming up and then having to buy another new set of Textbooks/HIGs) 

Last I read on their website they changed this and are keeping the Standards Edition (the exception might be level 6 which was still up in the air at the time) and just adding a CC edition.  I was prepared to buy up the rest of Standards workbooks for my younger DS until this was announced.

DS10 finished US Edition 5B last year and popped right into DM7 with no problem. Negative numbers are no big deal, and the rules for working with them can be explained to the student, including why they work, in about twenty minutes. It's really no big deal. Exponents are explained at the beginning of DM7, so learning them earlier confers no particular advantage, as again, using them is not difficult. Waiting until the child is a bit more academically mature just means they can learn them more quickly and readily in most cases.

Honestly I think the US edition is perfectly fine and tons of people have and still do use it with great success. I'm using the US edition with my kids and don't plan to change. I thought about switching to standards but really couldn't find a compelling enough reason to do so. My oldest is using Khan Academy for fun on Fridays this school year and has already been introduced to negative numbers there. :)

Honestly I think the US edition is perfectly fine and tons of people have and still do use it with great success. I'm using the US edition with my kids and don't plan to change. I thought about switching to standards but really couldn't find a compelling enough reason to do so. My oldest is using Khan Academy for fun on Fridays this school year and has already been introduced to negative numbers there. :)

This is for us too! :)

I ordered the Standards Edition to go from 3B US to 4A Standards and I actually returned it and re-ordered US. It just works for us. My son loves Math, it has become one of his favorite subjects and I actually prefer the US Edition HIG. So, I suppose it's just each person's preference but we are sticking with US over here.