Menu

I hope that I get my sewing machine back! (MIL with dementia content)

Jean in Newcastle

So the doorbell rings this morning and when I answer the door, there are my in-laws.  I was told that they were there for the sewing machine.  O.K.  I was a bit confused but I went and got it.  MIL said that she wanted to do some sewing and asked if I was using it right now.  No, I'm not, so I had no problem with her taking it.  

Three hours later she calls me wanting to know "Whose machine is this?  I don't recognize it.  Where's my machine?"  My answers:  "It is my machine.  That's why you don't recognize it.  I don't know where your machine is but talk to SIL.  She organized your stuff for you."  Turns out that MIL had thought that I had taken her machine and had come to get it.  She did this once before - called to rant about me stealing her belongings.  I'm not taking this personally.  It is the dementia talking.  But I am wondering what I'm going to have to do to get (steal!) my machine back!  

Well if you go there and take it back and she doesn't like it, give it a few hours and she will forget all about being mad at you.

Depends on how bad it is but if she's anything like one of the ladies I work with in an hour or 2 she won't even remember how the machine got there and who it belongs to. I'd get it back ASAP or risk her putting it on the curb as a give away.