Menu

*Any* input appreciated regarding house cleaning business

Ipsey

Well, I'm teaching in the mornings starting next week, but not as many classes came through as I had hoped, so my afternoons are free.

I'm hoping to clean houses. I have a Master's in my field--but the public schools here have been hit hard and it's hard to find a position. I'll be thrilled to bring in money, from whatever source these days!

So, do you have any suggestions? I also plan on phoning my friends and seeing their suggestions, but if you have any websites you can suggest or personal experience. . . _anything_, I'll be grateful for your thoughts.

Have you done research about prices in your area? Are you bonded? Can you get bonded? As a home owner I now only want workers in my house who are bonded and insured. I don't want issues with your health insurance if you get injured doing your job (slip in the shower while cleaning etc, I"m not talking about something that would be considered "my fault").  As a renter I wasn't so concerned about that...

My favorite ones came with some supplies but were open to my requests of using some of my preferences for cleaning (ie I dislike anything pine scented and prefer orange or citrus or linen scented).

The best ones also provided a checklist of EXACTLY what would be done, no wondering if X or Y would be done today or next week. It seemed to be a spreadsheet that could be easily printed/edited. 

For Example:

Kitchen:

Clean sink

Clean inside window over sink

Clean counters with Comet

Wipe down outside of cabinets

Wipe down outside of Fridge/oven

Clean inside and out of microwave

etc, etc....

And punctual is good. Oh and don't throw dry clean only pants in the washer :laugh:  (long story)

I would wonder how many clients would want afternoon cleanings?? My cleaners usually had mornings booked and more time free in the afternoon (guess how late in the afternoon you mean?) for extra last minute bookings for special events etc.

I have been cleaning houses for a while now.  I would never dream of suing a homeowner for my mistake. 

I bring my own cleaning supplies.  They are all natural.  I bring my own cleaning cloths.  If I do not like the vacuum that people have I will bring mine. Unless they have stated they prefer me to use theirs.  Some people prefer I use a specific product at their house. In that  case they provide it and I use it.  I do all my standing clients in the morning. My  every once in a while in the afternoons.  All my clients know that I am a midwife and may have to cancel on them at a moments notice. I let them know this up front before they hire me and they are all fine with it.  So if you have any special circumstances you will want to be upfront about it. 

The best thing you can do is price the house by the job not the hour.  I have clients that will complain if I leave fifteen minutes early but say nothing if I leave half hour late the next week.  Really some days you get done early some days later it all evens out in the long run.