Menu

K12 Spanish

Has anyone tried this Spanish program? I would like to use this with my 1st-5th grade students and wanted to see how others liked or disliked it.
I cannot recommend it. We used the online version as a supplement. DD did both Elementary levels and started the Middle School Level 1.

Here's a bit from an earlier post of mine:

DD used Power Glide Elementary (online) as a Spanish supplement and I was very disappointed with it. Occasionally files are missing or mixed up, scripts deviate from audio files, the promised "mouse over" vocab features from the stories are only implemented in a handful of lessons, there is little built-in review, words were occasionally used in timed activities before being introduced, and the daily work seems very light... rather like 3 months of work distributed over 180 days. These lessons are not 30-60 minutes as promised on the website. I was emailing their support with every couple of days to tell them about missing or mixed up components. Most corrections were not made, or at least not made within a month's time. During this time, the tech guys did manage to come up with a new mouse icon. :001_rolleyes:

I'd heard the Middle School program was better, so DD chose to move on. We lasted about 2 weeks before a major (20 minute) audio file was missing... on pronunciation of all things! At that point I just asked for a refund. That there are still missing files is inexcusable -- the online program has been up and running for over a year and is used by both Alpha Omega and K12.

As for the quality of the underlying program, both Elementary and Middle School programs are almost entirely in English (with the exception of the Story Time feature in Elementary; each week starts out in English and more Spanish is substituted in each lesson until the story is entirely in Spanish). Even absent the technical and layout difficulties, I would not recommend using it as a sole or even main program.

K12 has only recently partnered with Powerglide to offer foreign languages, so there are probably not many people yet who have used it through K12. I haven't used it, so I can't comment specifically. But I bet if you start a new thread asking about Powerglide Spanish you'll get a lot more responses, since it's been around for quite a while.

I cannot recommend it. We used the online version as a supplement. DD did both Elementary levels and started the Middle School Level 1.

Here's a bit from an early post of mine:

DD used Power Glide Elementary (online) as a Spanish supplement and I was very disappointed with it. Occasionally files are missing or mixed up, scripts deviate from audio files, the promised "mouse over" vocab features from the stories are only implemented in a handful of lessons, there is little built-in review, words were occasionally used in timed activities before being introduced, and the daily work seems very light... rather like 3 months of work distributed over 180 days. These lessons are not 30-60 minutes as promised on the website. I was emailing their support with every couple of days to tell them about missing or mixed up components. Most corrections were not made, or at least not made within a month's time. During this time, the tech guys did manage to come up with a new mouse icon. :001_rolleyes:

I'd heard the Middle School program was better, so DD chose to move on. We lasted about 2 weeks before a major (20 minute) audio file was missing... on pronunciation of all things! At that point I just asked for a refund. That there are still missing files is inexcusable -- the online program has been up and running for over a year and is used by both Alpha Omega and K12.

As for the quality of the underlying program, both Elementary and Middle School programs are almost entirely in English (with the exception of the Story Time feature in Elementary; each week starts out in English and more Spanish is substituted in each lesson until the story is entirely in Spanish). Even absent the technical and layout difficulties, I would not recommend using it as a sole or even main program.

Thank you, maybe we should just stick with Rosetta Stone.

We have used PowerGlide through K12--though Latin, not spanish (for a second grader), we hated it, terribly. The earlier poster is right, they would put words they hadn't learned yet in timed "games", and the testing was insane, basically, my son had to type in answers to questions on the computer, which is fine, but they never had shown my son the words yet, he'd only heard the words, so when it came time for the test, he would spell the word the way he heard it. The teacher marked them wrong, even though they were actually correct, it was just the spelling that was wrong, for second grade, I thought that was crazy. We are using K12 again this year, but will be using our own language program.

Basically, all my son retained all year was "there's a mouse, eeeek", and I think that's only because it made him laugh. We switched to something else for latin, and now he's saying all sorts of things.

I'll be giving K12 a try with my third daughter. But I won't be using the Powerglide for language.

I tried the French and Spanish Jr. and it was AWFUL with an A. My daughters got absolutely nothing out of it and they remember nothing.

Bascially they use immersion to teach the languages , by adding in words along with English. Pretty much easing in the language. Promblem is that they introduce words before they are taught the meaning. Like in one exercise it taught the words to shapes but added in numbers and they hadn't taught them to count yet in the Spanish or French. I never took any languages in school so I at least knew though how to count in Spanish and a little in French but my girls didn't know what it wanted when it threw number words in there before they were taught that in the first place.

Plus the program itself was pretty boring for my girls. The stories were alright but they were just bored to death with it.

So we'll be using our own language programs from now on.