Menu

Restoring a deck

Night Elf

We were at a bbq where the homeowner was thrilled with a specific Home Depot Behr product. He mentioned that this was his last ditch effort before replacing the deck.

It was a paint product that filled in spaces and remedied slivers.

We were guests of someone else so this isn't someone I could call and ask. I'll try to find it on the hd site when I can. ETA: I think it is called Deckover.

Is the wood solid and just looks bad or soft and rotten?

I have helped in pressure washing a deck and then staining it and I have helped in pressure washing railings and repainting them.  Paint removing, pressure washing and repainting is doable if the wood is good, but it is alot of work.

http://rustoleumrestore.com/dcr/

I've seen the commercial for this one several times, along with the Behr brand that's similar.

We just used the Rustoleum stuff. I don't like it as much as I thought I would. I was hoping for a composite-like texture, but it turned out very gritty. It's like walking on sandpaper. It also peels up if chairs get scooted on it, which happens a lot with two little kids. That could be a user error issue though. But it worked well as far as sealing cracks in the wood.