Menu

Help with GF zucchini bread?

praisefor3

So I am newly GF (July 3) due to some thyroid issues and a recommendation from my doctor. I am trying to make this change less painful and have tried some of my favorite foods in a GF way. One thing I loved in the summer was zucchini bread. I found a decent recipe that has good taste but I am struggling with the texture. It comes out chewy and a bit soggy. My recipe calls for rice flour, xanthum gum, and then the traditional ingredients (egg, vanilla, etc.) Any suggestions on a better recipe that might have a more bread-like texture? Is the xanthum gum what makes it chewy? I tried cutting back on it the last time I made it but it didn't seem to change.

My daughter bakes zucchini bread all the time and we love it. I have tons of frozen shredded zucchini in our freezer just for zucchini bread. We use the Pamela's baking mix in place of flour. Also, make sure you're squeezing out your zucchini to remove as much moisture as possible.

Rice flour by itself wont give the best results, a mix of flours works best.  xanthan gum is necessary for the bread not to fall apart - it replaces the function of the gluten, which glues the bread together.  You can also reduce the liquid . . . is there some sort of milk or something you can reduce?  Finally, i find quickbreads texture comes out better in muffins