Menu

Small tablets vs large tablets

I have a 7" Kindle Fire. We need another ereader of some sort, so we're considering passing mine down so that I can get a 8.9" Fire, or maybe even the big Google Nexus. I'm wondering how difficult the larger ones are to hold one-handed. I do read on my Fire at night, one handed. I'd be irritated if I could no longer do that. I do seem to have a touch of mild arthritis in my hands, too.

I plan to hop down to Staples to hold one myself, but I was also hoping to hear from someone with actual experience that lasted more than 5 minutes in a store. :-)

I have a Nook HD+ (9-in), and I don't ever use it one-handed, except for maybe a minute or so at a time if I'm quickly referencing something and my other hand is occupied. It's definitely too heavy for one-handed reading. I decided to sacrifice that for the larger screen, which is awesome for everything else.

Way to heavy to read with in your hand. Better for homeschooling in which one looks at worksheets, books,etc while the thing is in a holder with a stand. If you will be actually planning to read on it don't get a big one. Just my two cents. I borrowed a big fire from a friend to try out, and if I could afford one just for school I would, but not for a dual purpose.....

I use my Nook HD+ for reading all the time - I just have to hold it with both hands (like I do with many paper books I read), and that doesn't bother me at all. YMMV.

That was the thing--I specifically want to be able to read on my tablet while holding it with one hand, so it looks like I'm stuck with small ones. But, there are certainly worse fates. :-)

Thanks!

I usually prop my iPad on the arm of the couch or rest it against my leg to read and/or type on it. It works great with no hands this way, but I just tried to hold it with one hand and definitely won't be reading on it that way!

Yes, this. I also have a keyboard case, and I use it to prop the iPad on a slant for reading, but it's too heavy to hold in one hand.

I balance my iPad to read or type -right now the corner is on my chest and I'm holding up at the diagonal to type. Its never been an issue for me. That said, the shape of the other devices would make that difficult. My boyfriend has a 10" tablet (same size/shape as the galaxy tab) and because it is 16:9, I couldn't do that as easily. It's just longgggg.

Do go hold them and see. I couldn't give up the screen space on my iPad.... Even if I do lust for the mini! Lol!

Do go hold them and see. I couldn't give up the screen space on my iPad.... Even if I do lust for the mini! Lol!

The screen space is what I'm coveting. :-) My old eyes want a large font, which looks horrible on the small screen, but my old hands want a small, lightweight device. Maybe what I really need is a younger body.